Game Friday

Margo Macdonald

Apr 2, 2024, 2:16:21 PMApr 2
to Tina Surrency Winter, Apple Inc.
Both teams have strong players and strengths. I hope all goes well for all the teams in the final four. All these teams are really good and could win the whole shebang. I suspect whoever has the ability to make the shots and overcome the defenses on a given day could win.

I love watching women’s basketball. Tine, I have a picture from our PT teacher at Central, Ms. Wallace. It shows girls standing around in a semi circle ready to jump for the basketball. We played half court and couldn’t run. Things have changed.

Margo

Mike Murphy

Apr 2, 2024, 4:27:13 PMApr 2
to cub...@googlegroups.com
Things have indeed changed, Margo. I saw the other day that more folks are watching the women’s games than the men. Who would have ever imagined that?

All the games, men and women, have been really good this year. I have been a fan of Caitlin Clark ever since the women’s championship game last year. It’s like watching the female version of Steph Curry! What an outstanding player she is and so much fun to watch. I’ve been pulling for Iowa and South Carolina in the women’s bracket and hope they both win their next game. If that happens I’ll be pulling for Iowa - sorry Margo.

In the men’s bracket I can’t help but be amazed with what NC State has done. What a phenomenal run they have had so far. Purdue’s Edey is just awesome and I really hope to see a great game between those two. I’ll be tuned in this weekend!
Mike M

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 2, 2024, at 2:16 PM, Margo Macdonald <margo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Both teams have strong players and strengths. I hope all goes well for all the teams in the final four. All these teams are really good and could win the whole shebang. I suspect whoever has the ability to make the shots and overcome the defenses on a given day could win.
>
> I love watching women’s basketball. Tine, I have a picture from our PT teacher at Central, Ms. Wallace. It shows girls standing around in a semi circle ready to jump for the basketball. We played half court and couldn’t run. Things have changed.
>
> Margo

Christina Winter

Apr 2, 2024, 6:20:41 PMApr 2
to cub...@googlegroups.com
Margo - Yes, I have the same photograph! Ms. Wallace was a very very positive influence in my life. She recognized the signals of my having no guidance or support at home, made me a PE assistant, was kind and coached me as a student athlete (our volleyball game was similar to basketball - we were pretty under challenged to be an athlete but it was great fun) - also giving me a spot to come do homework, ask about what classes to take etc. She was a fine person and an excellent teacher. I was always a guard in girls basketball - basically a tall girl who stood under the basket and waited for an opposing team member to come up to me to shoot a basket and I raised my arms high - there was not a great deal of play making going on.

Things have changed quite a bit and it is a joy to watch! I love the women athletes who have challenged the pay issues, the locker issues, coaches who stand up for women not to be crudely called "dirty debutantes" or demanding behaviors or dress codes that have nothing to do with the game. There was a great editorial this week after the womens' court was found to have the 3 pt shot line 9" wrong at one end of the court. Women like Angel and Caitlin inspire me - they are powerful and great to watch! Catlin's 3 point shots last night were absolutely spectacular!

So Margo! May the best Carolina women win the next round! Here's to both teams!

Best, Tina

Christina S. Winter, Ed.D.

Margo Macdonald

Apr 2, 2024, 9:04:37 PMApr 2
to cubs63@googlegroups.com Inc.
Tina, I love that we remember Ms. Wallace.  I hope she might have some idea that she was important to us.  I am thinking of all the people who never understood their worth and value.  We come to understand what value is at different stages of life.  I value this group.

I hope SC wins……but I will follow NCState after that.

Margo

Christina Winter

Apr 3, 2024, 11:51:28 AMApr 3
to cub...@googlegroups.com
Margo - I so agree about understanding worth and value. Ms. Wallace was at a reunion and gave us photos. I often wonder if I expressed my appreciation and gratitude as I should have.

I too value this group.

To All, thanks for all the daily insights and updates.

Tina
Christina S. Winter, Ed.D.

Mike Murphy

Apr 3, 2024, 1:42:17 PMApr 3