Fwd: Don Wade

Paul Sisco

Mar 28, 2024, 8:31:58 AMMar 28
to Training School Group

From Karen Spindler Wade’s brother;

I want to thank you for the outpouring of prayers for my brother-in-law, Don Wade, as he was transitioning from the mortal to the immortal this week. He made that final step into eternity at 3:00 p.m. yesterday (March 23) at the age of 81, following a long battle with diabetes. Please continue to pray for Karen, his wife of 60 years, and his family. When the obituary is available, I will post it.

He and my oldest sister, Karen, began dating when she was in Jr. Hi, so some of my earliest preschool remembrances included Don. Following my tonsillectomy, he gave me a model car he had assembled. To my adult regret, I voiced my disapproval of the color scheme. However, he graciously repainted it. Model car building became a hobby that I pursued after that.

I also took up the guitar when he gave me his starter Silvertone guitar, following his purchase of a Gibson acoustic. Of course, having the opportunity to play his Gibson gave me the desire to own one, too. Any time the family got together, our two guitars came out of their cases, and Don would also vocally lead from the various genres of rock-n-roll, country, pop, and gospel. There, of course, was always great family harmony that embellished most of the tunes.

Don was an educator and coach, and I remember going to the football, basketball, and baseball games he coached. He was in his element as a coach and quite the competitor. However, the true success of a coach is not always in the win-loss record but in the character-building influence that is a more lasting and important record. Many men have lovingly and respectfully referred to Don as "Coach Wade" long after they had him in high school.

Karen and Don were married when I was in the second grade. His younger sister, Sarah, and I were probably the only third graders at Sherwood Elementary who could boast of having aunt and uncle statuses.  Added to the family beyond their first, Renee, were Michelle, Noelle, Coleen, and Donna. He adored his girls, was happy to have sons-in-law added to even out things, and was even happier to become "Big D" to all the grandkids and the beginning of the great-grandkid gig.

I grew up with four older sisters and when Don joined the family, I felt like I finally had a brother. While there was a big age difference, he included me in many activities. I remember some early Saturday mornings of accompanying him on his Commercial Appeal paper route; a combination of residential and the delivering to the wards of the old V.A. Hospital in Memphis. Afterward, we'd stop for some hot donuts at Thornton's Donuts (much like Krispy Kream). Don was a hard worker and instilled that into his daughters. However, he balanced his life with family, fun, and most importantly faith. I'm grateful that I will see my Brother, again.

Raymond Spence

Mar 28, 2024, 9:52:41 AMMar 28
to Cubs 63
What a nice remembrance! Karen, I am so sorry for your loss. You and Don and your family are in my prayers.

Raymond

Julie Johnson

Mar 30, 2024, 9:10:43 AMMar 30
to Training School Group
I am deeply saddened to learn of Don's passing, Karen.  I am thinking of you and keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Love,
Julie

Mar 31, 2024, 8:54:43 PMMar 31
to Apple Inc.
I am so sorry to hear about Don. Karen, I remember you and Don coming to Linda Wood Wade’s funeral. That was so kind of you both. I will keep you in my prayers. Margo

Paul Sisco

Mar 31, 2024, 9:32:23 PMMar 31
to cub...@googlegroups.com
I remember meeting Don at Linda’s funeral as well. A good Dad.

Paul