Printing onto sticky side of tape?

Kenneth Deboe

Feb 24, 2014, 10:53:33 PM2/24/14
to cubex-3d...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had success printing onto the sticky side of kapton (or other) tape?  I have the heated bed and I'm printing with PLA but on large parts they always still peal up.  Usually resulting in a ball of spaghetti.  I decided to try and flip the kapton tape adhesive side up and see if that helps.  We'll see.

ken

Feb 26, 2014, 12:24:27 AM2/26/14
to cubex-3d...@googlegroups.com
Uhhh, anyone have total failure with this idea?

Update: I tried to flip my 2"wide single sided Kapton tape over and lay down 3 stripes and tape them to the heated bed at the ends.  I found it really difficult to get the tape lay perfectly flat and the seams had issues.  I decided to start a print anyway and see how it went.  The print failed because I think it still pulled up and the tape only being held down on the ends offered little resistance in preventing the part corners from lifting up.  However I did notice that the tape was really stuck to the first layer of the part.

So I ordered some double sided Kapton tape and layed down a new layer.  Started the same print and left it printing, We'll see how it ends up in the morning.

My theory is the tape really sticks to the first layer and if the tape doesn't pull up i'm hoping this will solve some of the problems i've been having printing larger PLA parts.  I can print small parts but the larger parts have been a nightmare.

postm...@thehydrogenshop.com

Mar 2, 2014, 5:58:36 PM3/2/14
On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 14:53:33 UTC+11, ken wrote:
> Has anyone had success printing onto the sticky side of kapton (or other) tape?  I have the heated bed and I'm printing with PLA but on large parts they always still peal up.  Usually resulting in a ball of spaghetti.  I decided to try and flip the kapton tape adhesive side up and see if that helps.  We'll see.

If you have a heated bed? and a CubeX you must have that 3d system magic glue
use that magic glue it works much better than tape on a ceramic surface.
it works for me.
Message has been deleted

postm...@thehydrogenshop.com

Mar 3, 2014, 1:16:11 AM3/3/14
to cubex-3d...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 14:53:33 UTC+11, ken wrote:
> Has anyone had success printing onto the sticky side of kapton (or other) tape?  I have the heated bed and I'm printing with PLA but on large parts they always still peal up.  Usually resulting in a ball of spaghetti.  I decided to try and flip the kapton tape adhesive side up and see if that helps.  We'll see.

I use the Glue now all the time. I found the Glue On a heated bed to be so good if your not careful you cannot get the object off with out destroying it.
I have completely switch to the glue. I use a releasing agent the same wax the fiberglass molding industry use. On the bed before I put the glue on top. This is a hole another technique. That requires some refining to get right. Is worth it I must say.

Something happens to the glue and the ABS at hi temp and it stick like you would not believe.
I haven't seen much talk about this stuff they call magic glue. On the forums anywhere.

When I bought my CubeX it cam with it. At first I just shrugged it off as more of there Crap. One night I was changing a print file and didn't want to get out the Acetone surly because as you know it smells. Also it give me a headache. So I thought what the hell I will give it a try. At first I put the glue on top of the Kapton tape. I was so impressed I have never looked back. Now I put it straight on my heat bed. With no tape. I must point out I only use a headed bed and my heated bed is a ceramic glazed floor tile. That I heat to 100c for ABS. BUT I have Also mad some very large box type objects with PLA , only with the Kapton tap first then the glue on top.

ken

Mar 3, 2014, 7:47:17 PM3/3/14
to cubex-3d...@googlegroups.com, postm...@thehydrogenshop.com
Thanks.  I have only been printing with PLA so far but I'm ready to switch to ABS.  I made my first batch of ABS slurry yesterday but maybe i'll try the CubeX glue first.  Anyone else have success with the CubeX glue on the heated bed?

postm...@thehydrogenshop.com

Mar 3, 2014, 9:34:03 PM3/3/14
On Tuesday, 4 March 2014 11:47:17 UTC+11, ken wrote:
> Thanks.  I have only been printing with PLA so far but I'm ready to switch to ABS.  I made my first batch of ABS slurry yesterday but maybe i'll try the CubeX glue first.  Anyone else have success with the CubeX glue on the heated bed?

Try the CubeX glue. put down your Kapton tape first then put the Glue on the tape. only just a few minutes ago. I pulled the ceramic glaze of my heat bed
Because that Magic glue sticks to well. My fault really I got lazy and didn't put down the releasing agent first. I may go back to using the Kapton tape then the Magic glue. its just a double expense and the finish under the object is better.