HydroServer without ArcGIS server

Francesco Lo Conti

Mar 20, 2013, 1:13:50 PM3/20/13
to cuahsi-wds-us...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
I'd like to know wheter it is possible to design a Hydroserver implementation that does not make use of (the expensive) ArcGIS server and instead uses another map server application in place of it.
I found something about the possibility of using GeoServer in these pages:
but I didn't find anything more in depth about tecnical installation information.
Do you have either some experiences or further information about it?
Thank you

Sincerely
Francesco

Whiteaker, Timothy L

Mar 20, 2013, 1:53:12 PM3/20/13
to cuahsi-wds-us...@googlegroups.com, gver...@npca.ca

I don’t know that a document describing how to configure HydroServer with GeoServer exists, but some groups such as the NPCA have done it.

http://www.his.npca.ca/hydroserver

I’ve CC’d the contact for that server in case he’d like to chime in.

Tim Whiteaker

Research Associate

The University of Texas at Austin

Piper McKinnon

Mar 21, 2013, 11:44:54 AM3/21/13
to cuahsi-wds-us...@googlegroups.com, gver...@npca.ca, pmck...@npca.ca
Hi Francesco,

We use Geoserver as our WMS here at the NPCA. The only real impact this has had on our CUAHSI implementation was adding notes to inform users of our WMS locations, and the need to customize the map elements on the Hydroserver website. This was fairly trivial if you have javascript skills. It requires the use of OpenLayers which is installed with Geoserver.
You can see an example of the maps customization by viewing the page source here: http://www.his.npca.ca/hydroserver/GIS-Data/1

The biggest effort for our implementation was getting Geoserver running on an IIS server. In case you are faced with the same challenge, I have attached some documentation. Basically, we first had to install Apache Tomcat server on our IIS machine, then install Geoserver within the Tomcat container. This work was done in 2010 and we plan to upgrade both Tomcat and Geoserver this year, you would be well advised to investigate the latest versions before following our documentation as things may be easier or different now.

I hope this helps you in your efforts,
Piper McKinnon

Installing Instances of Tomcat 6 on IIS.pdf
NPCAGeoserverImplementation_20101116.pdf

Jeff Horsburgh

Mar 22, 2013, 10:56:04 AM3/22/13
to cuahsi-wds-us...@googlegroups.com, gver...@npca.ca, pmck...@npca.ca
Francesco,

I think you have gotten good advise here from Tim and Piper.  Tim and Piper – thanks for responding.

Generally – there are two functions served by ArcGIS Server for the HydroServer software stack.  The first is publishing geospatial data as web services, which can easily be done using GeoServer (as Piper Describes).  The second is that we built the HydroServer Map application using the ArcGIS Server Application Developer Framework.  This is a component of ArcGIS Server that is used to create maps within web applications.  Unfortunately, that application won't work without the component and so if you do not have ArcGIS Server, you can't use that application.  But, that doesn't affect the rest of the HydroServer software stack.  There are links to the map application from the HydroServer website, but they can easily be removed if you are not using it.

We are having a critical look at the HydroServer Map Application right now given that we used ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 to build the tool, and ESRI is now up to 10.1.  It is due for an update, and we will consider alternatives.

Jeffery S. Horsburgh

Utah Water Research Laboratory

Utah State University

8200 Old Main Hill

Logan, UT 84322-8200

Phone: (435) 797-2946  Fax: (435) 797-3663

jeff.ho...@usu.edu   http://jeffh.usu.edu

Francesco Lo Conti

Mar 22, 2013, 11:10:12 AM3/22/13
to cuahsi-wds-us...@googlegroups.com, gver...@npca.ca, pmck...@npca.ca
Ok, now I have a clear idea about this issue.
Thanks all for your answers.
Francesco
--
Francesco Lo Conti
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile, Ambientale, Aerospaziale, dei Materiali - Area Ingegneria Idraulica e Ambientale

Piper McKinnon

Mar 22, 2013, 11:29:53 AM3/22/13
to cuahsi-wds-us...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for filling in the details on that Jeff, since we're not using the Map application I forgot all about it. Losing the ability to use this app is a definite downside to using Geoserver, however we have found with the numerous other ways to access the data it has not been a major problem for our use. It would be great to see a Geoserver option for Hydroserver map in the future though!