LANGUAGE POLICY AT THE MILLENIUM

Lise Menn

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99

>> BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY
>>Language Policy Research Center
>>& The Lechter Institute for Literary Research
>>
>>Second International Symposium on Language Policy
>>LANGUAGE POLICY AT THE MILLENIUM
>>
>>Beck Auditorium, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan,
>>23-25-November 1999
>>
>>TUESDAY 23 NOV. 1999
>>Monolingual Policies and Their Effects
>>
>> Opening Session
>>Chair: Joel Walters, Bar-Ilan University
>>Joshua A. Fishman, Yeshiva University
>>Language Planning for Jewish Languages
>>Eliezer Ben-Rafael, Tel Aviv University
>>The Transformation of Diaspora: The Linguistic Dimension
>>* * * *
>>14:30 - 16:00
>>Chair: Elana Shohamy, Tel-Aviv University
>>Joseph Lo Bianco, Language, Australia
>>Democracy and Technique: The Postpositivist Challenge to
>>Language Policy
>>Shaw N. Gynan, Western Washington University
>>Post-Stroessner Language Planning in Paraguay
>>* * * *
>>16:30 - 18:00
>>Chair: Richard Ruiz, University of Arizona
>>Dennis Baron, University of Illinois
>>Ebonics and the Politics of English
>>Discussion
>>
>>WEDNESDAY 24 NOV. 1999
>>Plurilingual Policies and Their Problems
>>9:00 - 10:30
>>Chair: Kees de Bot, Catholic University of Nijmegen
>>Peter Nelde, Catholic University Brussels
>>Language Planning Strategies for a New Multilingualism
>>Chefena Hailemariam, Sjaak Kroon, and Joel Walters
>>Univ. of Asmara, Tilburg Univ. and Bar-Ilan Univ.
>>Unity and Diversity: Towards a Language Policy for Eritrean
>>Education
>>* * * *
>>11:00 -12:30
>>Chair: Sjaak Kroon, Tilburg University
>>Lachman M. Khubchandani, Center for Communication Studies
>>Reassessing Language Policies for Plurilingual Societies:
>>What We Still Need to Learn
>>Vic Webb, University of Pretoria
>>Language Policy and Language Politics in a Pluralist
>>Democracy: The South African Case
>>* * * *
>>14:00-15:30
>>Chair: Harold Ormsby, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de
>>Mexico
>>Maria Estela Brisk, Boston College
>>Quality Bilingual Education: Defining Success
>>Priya Hosali, Central Institute of English and Foreign
>>Languages
>>Language Policy: The Indian English Perspective
>>* * * *
>>16:00 - 17:30
>>Chair: Grace Feuerweger, OISE, University of Toronto
>>Su-chiao Chen and Hui-mei Chu, National Dong Hwa University
>>& Taipei Municipal Teachers College, Taiwan
>>New English Language Policy and Planning in Taiwan
>>Marilena Karyolemou, University of Cyprus
>>A Language or Two for a New University: Language, Politics
>>and Ideology in Cyprus
>>THURSDAY 25 NOV. 1999
>>Practice, Ideology, Policy
> [...]

Lise Menn
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0295
303-492-1609

Beware Procrustes bearing Occam's razor.

andrew...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Hello Professor Menn,

I am a student of languages and peace and conflict studies at the
university of waterloo in ontario, canada. I would like my university
to recognize my specific field of study as a major discipline. Do you
know of any other universities that offer such a programme (canadian
spelling!)?

Should you have the time to reply....

sincerely and thankfully yours,

andrew crowne