[Hiring] Python-strong full stack developers needed for civic tech projects

JD Bothma

Mar 1, 2021, 1:47:23 AM3/1/21
to Cape Town Python Users Group

Hi!

OpenUp are looking for senior full stack developers to own and oversee the technical side of one or more projects.

OpenUp’s vision is a South Africa where citizens and government are empowered to thrive, collaboratively. We seek to empower people and government, through data, technology and innovative-thinking, to become active agents in creating positive social change.

While implementation is a small part of any project in this complex space, a great breadth and depth of technical experience is needed to understand the potential and limitations of available data and processes. We need someone to help ask the right questions, and ensure that the implementation of any tools is usable, effective, and sustainable.

Duration: 6-12 month contract, 50-100%

Starting date: immediately, additional projects coming soon

Location: Remote, potential to use our Newlands, Cape Town office after COVID-19 risks reduce

Requirements
  • Able to support Product Owner with Business Analysis
  • Experience leading a development team
  • At least three years Django and Python experience
  • At least five years software development experience
  • Good understanding of modern and traditional web frontend approaches, libraries and languages including jQuery, Javascript (ES6), SASS
  • Experience using and maintaining Docker containers in development and production
  • Comfortable with git and GitHub
  • Experience with data processing and ETL beneficial
  • Able to take responsibility for the technical delivery of one or more small projects, including code review, deployment and operations
  • Able to self-manage, communicate clearly and work as part of a small team (2-3 people)
  • Able to attend regular online calls for planning, clarification etc
  • Able to align projects with our development best practises and help us refine it in line with our way of working.

Apply for this position by sending an email to jo...@openup.org.za. Please attach both your CV and a cover letter.

Read more on how we evaluate candidates for this role.

All the best

JD