Slow Raspberry Pi Model B but hellishly slow pip

Trevor Hughes

May 17, 2023, 8:21:43 AM5/17/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Greetings

For those that were at the last meeting where neil took us through whats new in Pythoin 3.12, you might have heard my comment that it too 84 minutes for my Pi to compile Python as the pythoin version that the latest Raspberry Pi OS (based on debian) runs off was a version 3.7 nand i have 3.10 on my laptop

No using pip is a nightmare - it takes 15 seconds for pip --version to return the version

i have not been ablr to complete the isntallation of pandas as before its finished the pwer goes off - so i started isntall components seaprately and one or two small packages inatalled

Now I am trying to isntal numpy again which must have run for over 2 hours before the power went out

I have till 8pm tonight before power off again so will see....

Read about loads of slow pip but not really a solution

Pythoin itself runs ok - quite usably

Any tips

And I made a virtual enc but when i activate and install to it pip moans about no aces so will intall as user - and the pip list - which also take an age shows the same packages whether I am in virtual enc or the system python!!!

Anyway - I am a man of patience....

Trev

Simon Cross

May 17, 2023, 8:42:46 AM5/17/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

There is a nice description of the various reasons why pip can be slow
at https://pythonspeed.com/articles/faster-pip-installs/.

It sounds like you are encountering the version check (which makes a
network call to check if you have the latest pip) and compilation from
source.

To avoid compilation, I would suggest trying conda and in particular
the mambaforge toolchain -- see
https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge#mambaforge.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Simon

Trevor Hughes

May 17, 2023, 11:49:27 AM5/17/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Thanks simon

I will check that liunk - I cna happily say that pandas is isntalled after over 200 minutes and there certainly was a lot of compliing going on with gcc cc and especially cc1plus using almost 100% cpu and 35% mem

But i can import nupy now!

I will try an see how to stop the compilation when I now install pandas!

This little Pi has worked hard today!

Trev

Trevor Hughes

May 18, 2023, 11:50:57 AM5/18/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 5:49 PM Trevor Hughes <tghu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks simon

I will check that liunk - I cna happily say that pandas is isntalled after over 200 minutes and there certainly was a lot of compliing going on with gcc cc and especially cc1plus using almost 100% cpu and 35% mem

But i can import nupy now!

I will try an see how to stop the compilation when I now install pandas!

This little Pi has worked hard today!

Trev

Well numpy did omport but then when i tried to pip install pandas it woudl not - so i downloaded the latest image which contains python 3.9 - more than good enough and tried again

Got my virtual env sorted and then pip install pandas took just ten minutes!!!! as it was intallinf wheels not do compliation

Then numpy threw erros about c compilation but it included a helpful website link and i had to isntall one more library with apt get and then it works fine

So i am a happy camper running Python 3.9.2 on Raspberry Pi Model B using the latest Raspberry Pi OS based on Bullseye!

No just to start playing with those GPIO pins and start controlling stuff!

Trev