CTPUG Meeting - 18th Feb?

Neil Muller

Jan 13, 2023, 3:03:15 AM1/13/23
to ctpug
I'd really like to get CTPUG meetings going again this year, so I'm
proposing we have an in person meeting on the 18th of Feb.

I'm willing to rehash my PyConZA talk to get things going, but if
someone else wants to offer something instead, that would be great.

Which leaves the issue of a suitable venue. Any offers?

--
Neil Muller
drnlm...@gmail.com

I've got a gmail account. Why haven't I become cool?

Tobias Brandt

Jan 13, 2023, 4:16:12 AM1/13/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
That would be great! I can't commit that I'll be able to make the date but it would be great to get CTPUG going again.

For those of us that weren't able to attend PyConZA last year, what was your talk about? (Or link to the talk abstract/video?)

Trevor Hughes

Jan 14, 2023, 2:44:54 AM1/14/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
As I did mention before I will happily offer The Wild Fig upstairs room as a venue - can take  30 people or so , has a projector and screen sound if needed and fairly decent wifi if needed

Full restaurant and bar facilities will be available

I checked my booking list and Saturday 18 feb is available - since its a saturday are you thinking a day time meet up or evening time?

What would the expected numbers be - I am guessing less than 30 which will be fine then - could get more in if the tables are removed and the room is set up cinema style

As I mentioned when I asked about CTPUG a few months ago - I am learning pythn and putting it to work to automate certain tasks I do at the restaurant so I am keen to gain more knowledge and give some back to the python community.

Trev

Neil Muller

Jan 14, 2023, 3:13:38 AM1/14/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 at 09:44, Trevor Hughes <tghu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I did mention before I will happily offer The Wild Fig upstairs room as a venue - can take 30 people or so , has a projector and screen sound if needed and fairly decent wifi if needed
>
> Full restaurant and bar facilities will be available
>
> I checked my booking list and Saturday 18 feb is available - since its a saturday are you thinking a day time meet up or evening time?

Afternoon - ideally starting at about 14:00.

Tobias Brandt

Jan 18, 2023, 3:30:03 PM1/18/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your generous offer. That would be great (I think)!

@Neil Muller I take it this is your talk?
Why you should be excited about PyGame 2

I could possibly talk about [pyprql](https://github.com/prql/PyPrql) and [PRQL](prql-lang.org) more generally.

Cheers
Tobias

P.S. @Trevor Hughes You may be interested in this talk. IIRC it was voted the favourite talk at the first ever PyconZA. It seems Python is very popular for running bars and restaurants ;-)
PyConZA 2012: How to open a bar in Python

Trevor Hughes

Jan 20, 2023, 8:15:37 AM1/20/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 10:30 PM Tobias Brandt <tobias...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your generous offer. That would be great (I think)!

I have filled in provisionally for the upstairs room for the day and the night.

P.S. @Trevor Hughes You may be interested in this talk. IIRC it was voted the favourite talk at the first ever PyconZA. It seems Python is very popular for running bars and restaurants ;-)
PyConZA 2012: How to open a bar in Python

I guessed before I followed the link it would be Edward and The Alexander Bart and I was right! Thanks for the link - I will check it out

Trev

Neil Muller

Jan 23, 2023, 4:54:38 AM1/23/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 22:30, Tobias Brandt <tobias...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Neil Muller I take it this is your talk?
> Why you should be excited about PyGame 2
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynu6eebdSfk
>
> I could possibly talk about [pyprql](https://github.com/prql/PyPrql) and [PRQL](prql-lang.org) more generally.

That's the talk - I'm happy to have someone else speak on the 18th and
keep the pygame talk as a reverse for when we don't have offers.

Neil Muller

Jan 23, 2023, 4:54:43 AM1/23/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 15:15, Trevor Hughes <tghu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have filled in provisionally for the upstairs room for the day and the night.

Thank you very much - I'll aim to make an "official" announcement at
the start of next week.

Tobias Brandt

Jan 29, 2023, 2:35:19 AM1/29/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

I've checked my diary and I'm keen to give a talk about pyPRQL on the 18th and depending on how much I can get done before then I can also talk about what else is happening in the Python data space, such as DuckDB, Polars and dbt.

If people are keen on that I'd really appreciate the opportunity.

Regards,
Tobias

Neil Muller

Jan 29, 2023, 3:34:53 AM1/29/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 at 09:35, Tobias Brandt <tobias...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> I've checked my diary and I'm keen to give a talk about pyPRQL on the 18th and depending on how much I can get done before then I can also talk about what else is happening in the Python data space, such as DuckDB, Polars and dbt.

Sounds interesting, so you're down as the speaker.

Trevor Hughes

Feb 13, 2023, 7:44:17 AM2/13/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
I was just going through my bookings coming u and say the provisional I made for Saturday 18 Feb for a possible CTPUG meeting - but I am assuming this has not come to fruition this week - I will keep my offer of a venue , depending on availability , open for when the first meeting of 2023 does happen

Thanks

Trev

Adrianna Pińska

Feb 13, 2023, 7:47:45 AM2/13/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Trevor

There was a message on the list this morning confirming the meeting on
the 18th -- not sure if your spam filter ate it. You can view it on
the web here: https://groups.google.com/g/ctpug/c/M6pT8DUmOuc/m/qivI84ZOBQAJ

Cheers,
Adrianna

--
Adrianna Pińska
::::,;,;,:;;:,;;;:::,;::;:,;::;:,;:;:,;;;,;:,::;:,:;::,::;,:,;:,;:;

Tobias Brandt

Feb 13, 2023, 2:39:55 PM2/13/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trevor,

Yes, I'm expecting to speak this Saturday about PRQL and pyprql and I thought there were messages to confirm this. Apologies if those missed you. I can't quite recall where they were.

Neil Muller

Feb 14, 2023, 5:37:03 AM2/14/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 at 21:39, Tobias Brandt <tobias...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> Yes, I'm expecting to speak this Saturday about PRQL and pyprql and I thought there were messages to confirm this. Apologies if those missed you. I can't quite recall where they were.

There was a bit of confusion, but I've had confirmation from Trevor
off-list that the venue is booked for Saturday and everything is still
good.

Trevor Hughes

Feb 16, 2023, 12:04:34 PM2/16/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for the confusion,  I have just found the announcements in my spam folder.

Looking forward to meeting you all on Saturday at The Wild Fig

Trev