Stepping down as CTPUG organiser

Neil Muller

Nov 20, 2023, 2:14:15 AM11/20/23
to ctpug
After 2 meetings where I spoke, and 3 further attempts with no other
offers and barely any comments, it's clear that my approach to
organising CTPUG meetings is no longer working.

So I'm not going to do it anymore, although I'll pay for the meetup
group for at least another year in the hope that this doesn't
completely die.

If somebody wants these events to continue, please step up - you are
not bound by any of the current conversations - if a different day
works better, or a different format or whatever, go with it.

--
Neil Muller
drnlm...@gmail.com

I've got a gmail account. Why haven't I become cool?

Francois Loubser

Nov 20, 2023, 2:59:07 AM11/20/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your years of organizing my favorite meetup group. I can only imagine the challenges, and I wouldn't want your role. One suggestion might be to encourage group members to share their Python programming topic preferences and desired talk levels.

Thanks again for all you have done.

Lemoene Smit

Nov 20, 2023, 3:27:49 AM11/20/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your service Neil

Tobias Brandt

Nov 20, 2023, 6:38:26 AM11/20/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

Thank you for everything you have done and keeping this Meetup running for as long as you did. I also see the difficulties you have faced with this.

I would love to offer to get more involved but the reality is that I am very constrained between work and family commitments.

I do hope someone steps up though. It's a great way to get some practice in organising events and those of us who attend do greatly appreciate it, even though we may not always be able to assist.

Kind regards
Tobias

Stefan

Nov 21, 2023, 12:01:18 PM11/21/23
to Cape Town Python Users Group
Hi Neil,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 9:14 AM Neil Muller wrote:
After 2 meetings where I spoke, and 3 further attempts with no other
offers and barely any comments, it's clear that my approach to
organising CTPUG meetings is no longer working.

Thank you very much for organizing CTPUG for all these years. Even though I live too far away to attend now, this has been my all-time favorite meetup, and I love the people I've met there (thanks for including me!).

I remember a weekend during the Python 2-to-3 Transition when y'all came in to help port Matplotlib to Python 3. It was  absolutely a non-trivial challenge, and I was amazed at the amount of technical expertise in the room. Every year, I look forward to seeing CTPUG's entry in PyGame.

I really hope the group keeps going; regardless, I have some very fond memories of CTPUG.

Best regards,
Stéfan

Simon Cross

Nov 22, 2023, 6:59:41 AM11/22/23
to ct...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

Thank you for running the CTPUG meetings all these years. There have
been so many great conversations, talks and fun experiences. Thank you
for making them happen.

I've posted on the ZA Tech Python Slack channel asking for someone to
step up. If others reading this could ask in the forums they're in
too, that would be appreciated.

Regards,
Simon