Rep. Belton Announces Funding for Northern Middlesex YMCA and Connecticut Valley Hospital

Fountain, Taylor

Jun 30, 2023, 2:07:46 PM6/30/23

For IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                                                                           Contact: Taylor Fountain

June 30, 2023                                                                                                                                                 860-240-0071

REP. BELTON ANNOUNCES FUNDING FOR NORTHERN MIDDLESEX YMCA AND CONNECTICUT VALLEY HOSPITAL

The funding was approved in the State Bond Commission meeting Friday.

(HARTFORD) State Representative Kai Belton (D-Middletown) announced the state would provide $2 million in bonding for the Northern Middlesex YMCA facility in Middletown. The bonding will help fund renovations and equipment for youth-serving areas.

Rep. Belton took the lead on this initiative, addressing an oversight for young people in Middletown to have a safe environment that enriches their lives and fosters their development.

"Middletown's young people deserve spaces that cultivate their creativity, challenge their minds and support their social and emotional well-being. This takes a community," said Rep. Belton. "The renovations made at the Northern Middlesex YMCA and new equipment will be a major upgrade to the facility and will help to enhance programming for our youth. I am grateful for this funding and appreciate the enriching impact it will have on students. Thank you to Governor Lamont and the Bond Commission for their commitment to Middletown."

The State Bond Commission also approved $1.95 million for renovations at Battell Hall at the Connecticut Valley Hospital. Funding would renovate the in-patient mental health building to update rooms to current patient requirements and bring the facility up to building code requirements.

“Patients and their families rely on critical health care every day and it is so important that while they receive care, they are in an environment that is completely safe,” said Sen. Hochadel. “Thank you to the State Bond Commission that approved this funding that will help Connecticut Valley Hospital make the necessary upgrades needed to their facility. I am also thrilled to see the YMCA receive funding as they provide classes and activities for children and their families. It’s more then just a gym, it’s a place children can go to feel safe and express themselves and they should have a place with the best amenities that will help progress their education.”

“The Northern Middlesex YMCA is a fantastic resource for all ages, and I'm thrilled that this essential organization will be able to begin much-needed upgrades to better serve our Middletown youth,” said Sen. Lesser. “Today's investment by Governor Lamont and the Bond Commission represents a significant down payment in the Y's future and its ability to serve the Greater Middletown community. I also think it is important to acknowledge the work that Rep. Q Williams put into this project - and congratulate Rep. Kai Belton on taking a leadership role in seeing it funded.”

“I commend the hard work of the Middletown delegation for their efforts in securing this funding, which will help the YMCA make much needed renovations in order to enhance the programs they offer to our community,” said Rep. Chaffe. “I’d like to thank Governor Lamont and the State Bonding Commission for supporting Middletown.”

“With the renovation and addition of dedicated youth space, we would expect to expand our already vibrant youth programming, growing our services in excess of the 500+ teens we currently serve,” said YMCA President/CEO Michele Rulnick. “We provide financial assistance for the majority of our youth members; therefore, this bonding support will assist in solving our space needs to allow more opportunities.”

###

MIDDLETOWN STATE BONDING.pdf