RELEASE: CT Congressional Delegation Comes Out in Force, Sends Letter to John Kelly

1 view

Carolina Bortolleto

Jul 28, 2017, 8:44:27 PM7/28/17

C4D logo.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Friday, July 28, 2017

Contact: Carolina Bortolleto | Caro...@ct4adream.org | 203-942-3052

CT Congressional Delegation Comes Out in Force, Sends Letter to John Kelly Demanding that the DACA Program Be Protected

Undocumented youth remain committed to protecting DACA, announce launch of community meetings aimed at uplifting the voices of the immigrant community in CT

Hartford,  CT - Today, all seven members of the CT Congressional delegation addressed a letter to Secretary of DHS John Kelly, urging the administration to defend the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program, which is in real danger since last month, when 10 Attorney Generals sent a letter to the Trump Administration, threatening to sue the federal government if the DACA program is not phased out by September 5.

This letter comes at a crucial time for the efforts of the immigrants rights movement to protect immigrant youth and as the nation’s eyes are on Kelly who was just named as Trump’s Chief of Staff.  Also on Friday,  Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), the entire Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Democratic House leaders and over 100 Members of Congress introduced the American Hope Act, which would create a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrant youth. The American Hope Act is the most progressive piece of legislation opening a pathway to citizenship for undocumented youth, covering many more undocumented youth than any other bill - even more so than the DREAM Act which was first introduced in 2001. The HOPE Act creates a 3 stage, 5 year path to citizenship.

Camila Bortolleto, DACA recipient, Campaign and Policy Manager, CT Students for a Dream,  “Just this Friday, after hearing concerns from our youth and leaders from around the state, all seven members of CT Connecticut Congressional Delegation wrote a letter to Secretary of DHS John Kelly, urging the administration to defend the DACA program against any legal challenge. We applaud our CT delegation for speaking up on this issue and standing on the right side of justice. DACA has changed my life, given me a sense of security and the ability to help support my family.

“During the second week of August, CT Students for a Dream will be launching a series of Defend DACA Community Meetings around the state - in Danbury, Hartford, New Haven, and more - to educate, organize, and  empower our community to fight to protect our communities.”

Anghy Idrovo, undocumented, Community and Campaign Organizer, CT Students for a Dream, “The Hope Act is the most inclusive  policy so far to protect immigrant youth, its implementation would change my life completely. I do not qualify for DACA, and would qualify for the Hope Act, but I’m here to say that while we applaud this new progressive Hope Act, we cannot and will not give up on DACA. We are still committed to fighting for the victories our movement has won. The fact is that the DACA program currently protects 800,000 individuals around the country and 10,000 individuals in CT from deportation. The legislative process is long and DACA could be rescinded at any time before Sept 5th, and with it, the futures of many of our CT residents.”

###

Connecticut Students for a Dream is a youth-led statewide network fighting for the rights of undocumented youth and their families.

www.ct4adream.org

--
Carolina Bortolleto
Pronouns: She/hers