PRESS RELEASE: Murphy, Newsom, Colleagues, Gun Safety Groups, and Activists Launch NR8 Fundraising Campaign

Rebecca Drago

Oct 7, 2022, 5:51:37 PM10/7/22
IMG_4020.JPG
Murphy, Newsom, Colleagues, Gun Safety Groups, and Activists Launch “NR8” Fundraising Campaign

The 24 hour campaign will raise money for gun safety candidates in competitive races and a critical ballot initiative

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-Calif.) on Friday launched a 24 hour fundraising campaign called “NR8” to raise money for eight gun safety campaigns.

“This year we proved it was possible to beat the gun industry and pass gun safety legislation that will save lives. This victory was only possible because of the strength of the anti-gun violence movement that has helped elect so many gun safety champions to state and federal office. We know that the gun industry and their allies will do everything they can to roll back the gains we made this year if they gain power in November. That's why we've got to elect Democrats up and down the ballot to protect these victories and show that our momentum is real. I urge everyone to spread the word about this campaign and make a donation,” said Murphy.

"This campaign is about taking back our political system from the gun lobby. In Congress and states across the country, the NRA protects the gun industry's bottomline at all costs -- even when those profits come at the expense of our children's lives. I am proud to stand with these NR8 candidates and campaigns who believe in gun safety and won't be afraid to stand up to the NRA," said Newsom.

This year they will support Maggie Hassan for NH Senate, Mandela Barnes for WI Senate, Josh Shapiro for PA Governor, Elaine Luria for VA-02, Andy Kim for NJ-03, Gabe Vasquez for NM-02, and Oregon Measure 114, which would require all firearm purchases be subject to a background check and safety training class.

The fundraising effort is the second for Murphy, who first launched NR8 in 2018 with the goal of taking Congress back from the gun lobby. Murphy and Newsom will be joined by elected officials, gun violence prevention groups, social media influencers, and a broader coalition of progressive groups in the online fundraising campaign. Partners include Secretary Hillary Clinton; Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Sen. Dick Durbin (D-lll), Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawai‘i), Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.-06), Rep. John Larson (D-Conn.-01), Rep. Jim Himes (D-Conn.-04); groups including Giffords, Brady Campaign, Everytown for Gun Safety; and gun safety advocates like MLS player Alejandro Bedoya, Brian Tyler Cohen, and the Progressivists.

###