overlap() error : Inconsistent projections

Devin Fitzpatrick

Jul 15, 2021, 6:24:44 PM7/15/21
to ctmm R user group

Hi there,

I am trying to use overlap() for the first time and having some trouble, repeatedly getting this error: Error in check.projections(object) : Inconsistent projections.

For example when trying to compare the overlap of 2 squirrels I created a list of their two ctmm fit objects obtained from ctmm.select()

> squirrels <- list(M.IID.09, M.IID.24)

> overlap(squirrels, level = 0.95, debias = TRUE)

Error in check.projections(object) : Inconsistent projections.

Same error when I try with the UDs obtained from akde()

> squirrels <- list(KDE.09, KDE.24)

> overlap(squirrels, level = 0.95, debias = TRUE)

Error in check.projections(object) : Inconsistent projections.

I’m not sure why as the data for both squirrels is in the same coordinate system/format/etc.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Devin

Christen Fleming

Jul 16, 2021, 1:51:14 AM7/16/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi Devin,

If you imported the squirrels separately and did not manually specify a projection, then they probably ended up with different automated projections. But this is easy to fix, by assigning them the same projection before fitting the models: https://ctmm-initiative.github.io/ctmm/reference/projection.html

SQUIRRELS <- list(SQUIRREL1, SQUIRREL2)
projection(SQUIRRELS) <- median(SQUIRRELS)

and then working with from the re-projected SQUIRRELS list.

Also, depending on how you tracked them, you might want to check and see if the location error needs to be modeled: https://ctmm-initiative.github.io/ctmm/articles/error.html

Best,
Chris

Devin Fitzpatrick

Jul 17, 2021, 3:21:28 PM7/17/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi Chris,

I had imported the squirrels separately and that fixed the issue, thank you very much! The squirrels were tracked using GPS collars.

Best,
Devin