AKDE

Nanette Reece

Jun 6, 2024, 1:56:01 PMJun 6
to ctmm R user group
Dear All,

I am trying to understand the process that AKDE goes through to obtain a home range.  I have two understandings of it.  One, going from point A to point B, AKDE compares this move against all other locations.  Two, going from point A to point B, AKDE compares it to the mean of the individual animals' movements.

Does anyone know what the analytical process is?

Thanks, Nanette.

Jesse Alston

Jun 7, 2024, 8:53:34 AMJun 7
to Nanette Reece, ctmm R user group
Hi Nanette,

AKDE uses the whole movement track to fit and select a range-resident stochastic process model that best describes the data. It then optimizes the bandwidth (kernel smoothing function) to minimize error for that specific model.

Models that estimate uncertainty between successive locations are called occurrence distributions and can be estimated using occurrence() rather than akde(). More information here: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.09.29.509951v1.full.pdf

Jesse

Sent via mobile--I apologize for excess brevity