Effect Size with meta() for non-normal data

ross.co...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2021, 3:27:02 PM10/4/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi Chris,
Home range size in my dataset of males, females, and juveniles are quite skewed and their medians are a more meaningful measure of central tendency. Since effect size with the meta() call compares means, I wanted to ask if there is still an appropriate way for me compare groups and calculate effect size with meta(). Much appreciated.
Ross

Christen Fleming

Oct 4, 2021, 3:52:24 PM10/4/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi Ross,

Is the distribution skewed because you are grouping males, females, adults, and juveniles together, or because there are some dispersers?

I haven't derived any robust statistics that propagate uncertainty, but you might consider something simple like a trimmed mean.

Best,
Chris