Formatting data for ctmm package

Kim Lewandowski

Jul 12, 2021, 7:24:33 AM7/12/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi all,

I am quite new to RStudio and was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to format my data correctly to run the ctmm package

Thanks
Kim

Christen Fleming

Jul 12, 2021, 4:06:13 PM7/12/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi Kim,

which you will have if you store your data on Movebank.

Best,
Chris

Kim Lewandowski

Jul 13, 2021, 4:48:55 AM7/13/21
to ctmm R user group
Thanks Chris,

I am using the move format however, I am learning from the buffalo (Cilla) example in https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ctmm/ctmm.pdf in which the data is built into the package. When I look at the data in RStudio for this example it has 6 columns.
1) timestamp
2) longitude
3) latitude
4) t
5) x
6) y

I can't seem to find anywhere that explains what t, x and y are and how to get my data into that format

Thanks
Kim

Christen Fleming

Jul 13, 2021, 11:34:30 AM7/13/21
to ctmm R user group
Hi Kim,

You are looking at data that are already imported in to ctmm.

move package format and Movebank format are not the same, necessarily. A Movebank format CSV file should import into ctmm without issue, via

DATA <- as.telemetry(MOVEBANK)

where MOVEBANK is either the filename string or an imported data.frame.

move package objects will generally import the same way, but the move format is very permissive and can be something other than Movebank format.

In any case, you want to use as.telemetry() to produce a telemetry object for ctmm and not try to recreate that by hand. The minimal columns you need for that are listed in https://ctmm-initiative.github.io/ctmm/reference/as.telemetry.html

Best,
Chris

Kim Lewandowski

Aug 1, 2021, 4:49:28 AM8/1/21