[CT Birds] Question about robins at night

1 view

Loralee Richter

Apr 4, 2021, 8:05:05 PM4/4/21
to ctb...@lists.ctbirding.org
My husband was out walking our dog late last night. He estimates it was around 11pm. He saw two robins “hopping around” on our lawn in the dark night. Does anyone know if robins are known to sometimes forage in the night, and why?

Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts or ideas :)

Loralee Richter
Danbury, CT

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Plotnick

Apr 4, 2021, 11:02:15 PM4/4/21
to Loralee Richter, CT Birds
Night Crawlers come out at night. That's why they call them Night Crawlers.
I used to catch them for fishing.

Mark Aronson

Apr 5, 2021, 7:19:37 AM4/5/21
to Paul Plotnick, Loralee Richter, CT Birds
This reminds me, a few years ago a bunch of us at Todd’s Point observed a Barred Owl hopping around on the ground in broad daylight eating the worms that had risen to the top on a warm winter day. I had never imagined owls eating worms, but if they are doing this during the day I would guess they would have their fill of those Night Crawlers by moonlight too

> On Apr 4, 2021, at 11:02 PM, Paul Plotnick <pdp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Night Crawlers come out at night. That's why they call them Night Crawlers.

Thomas Robben

Apr 5, 2021, 3:00:10 PM4/5/21
to CT Birds, Mark Aronson, Paul Plotnick, Loralee Richter