Controlling for/limiting time-on-task spent on a problem - Can this be done within CTAT?

Alexander L.

Aug 18, 2015, 11:08:11 AM8/18/15
to CTAT Users
Hello CTAT-team and CTAT-users,

I'm in the process of authoring a number of CTAT-problem-sets with Flash. I'll be using them for online experiments on some hypotheses derived from the Knowledge-Learning-Instruction framework as part of my PhD research. I plan to use Tutorshop to host and deliver the tutor versions and Datashop for analysis. One thing I'd like to do is control for time-on-task either statistically or, if possible,  by actively limiting the amount of time students can spend with the tutor. Two questions came up:
  1. Is it correct that the time a student spent on any problem can be reconstructed from the logfiles? I. e. do the logfiles include a timestamp for every step?
  2. I was also wondering, if it would be possible to limit the amount of time any student can spend with a problem within the tutor. E.g. by some sort of countdown that triggers the loading of the next problem after a fixed interval of time? Can this be done?
I appreciate any information you can provide!

Thanks,
Alex

Martin van Velsen

Aug 18, 2015, 11:16:38 AM8/18/15
to ctat-...@googlegroups.com
Hoi,

I think the answer to both questions is yes. The log files have detailed timing information and contain
session start/end events. I would have to check but we have two timer components that can be used
to limit the total time a student can spend on a tutor. One shows a clock or pie-chart like countdown
that can be configured using parameters. You should have this component in your component list if
you installed the latest release. The documentation for it is here:

http://ctat.pact.cs.cmu.edu/index.php?id=components-as3#commPieChartTimer

Let me know if you have any questions.

Martin

Alexander L.

Oct 6, 2015, 10:19:34 AM10/6/15
to CTAT Users
Thanks, Martin, sorry for the late reply, it is only now that I have had the time to implement your suggestion. I decided to add a CommTimer to the interfaces. However, I'm not sure how I can "lock"/"grey out" the interface or proceed to loading the next problem after a pre-defined number of seconds has past.  Any pointers on that? That probably would require some scripting, and using the pre-set amount of time passed as the triggering event, wouldn't it? (Sry, I'm not a programmer :-)).

Best,
Alex

Martin van Velsen

Oct 6, 2015, 10:34:49 AM10/6/15
to ctat-...@googlegroups.com
This is quite doable actually. I've rigged up an example tutor that I think does what you are asking
for. I will send you a separate email with the files and an explanation.

Martin