Any way to have a file as the string of command flags?

pjfarley3

Oct 30, 2016, 4:39:59 PM10/30/16
to csvfix
In order to use csvfix as a CSV file manipulator from within a particular edit product I would need to be able to specify the command arguments (and maybe the command verb itself) as a separate file, sort of like this:

csvfix verb @arguments.file -

Or

csvfix @verb-and-arguments.file -

The edit product feeds the csvfix invocation the current edit buffer as STDIN and takes STDOUT back to replace the edit buffer.

I realize this is not a current capability, but is there any chance this could be implemented?

Peter

Neil Butterworth

Oct 30, 2016, 4:47:17 PM10/30/16
to csvfix
You could possibly use an alias - see http://neilb.bitbucket.org/csvfix/manual/csvfix16/Usage1.html. Or you could write a shell script. I have no intention of implementing such a feature directly.

pjfarley3

Oct 31, 2016, 1:24:56 PM10/31/16
to csvfix
Sorry to hear that.  The problem I'm trying to solve needs the ability to specify the arguments to the SORT verb, for instance, in an ad hoc manner, depending on which CSV columns need to be the sort key fields, and what type each one is, and which direction to use for each key.

But thank you anyway for the prompt reply. Using one or more alias setups may help a little, though it does not help much to address my ad hoc requirements.

Regards,

Peter