People List from CSSA Listserv

Jacob Beauregard

Aug 29, 2016, 11:15:57 PM8/29/16
to CS...@list.uvm.edu

I've gotten up to 9/2009 for people that posted to the CSSA list, so basically a few months after I graduated. I decided to hasten things, so it's a little less organized than the pre-oct-2003 data. Also, it's not so good as to be current email addresses, but at least gets the people (that sent email on the list). I've made an effort to note/exclude people who requested removal from the list or who were just spamming (there's one Nigerian who's potentially legit, but probably wasn't a UVM student). I'll send it out to anyone interested when we decide what we should do.

So, there will need to be volunteers for contacting people hopefully not entirely cold, and a reason for contacting them. The reason answers these questions:

What can UVM CS Alumni gain from one another?

What can UVM CS Alumni gain from current CS students at UVM?

Meanwhile, how should UVM CS Alumni and CS Students interact? I like the idea of recycling the listserv, and that would require some contact work. Lily likes the idea of using LinkedIn. I have doubts an effective communication system would be as simple as either/or.

-Jacob

kip steele

Aug 29, 2016, 11:26:56 PM8/29/16
to CS...@list.uvm.edu
No silver bullet here.

Lehigh uses a list serve. Harvard has a separate app. MIT Uses several options. Champlain uses a Facebook group.super easy and for the most part everyone has an account. Let's start small and iterate.

 I'm heading into the graduate program at UVM so happy to act aa someone with skin in the game a bit more here.

Kip

--
Kip Steele
kip.s...@gmail.com

Jacob Beauregard

Aug 30, 2016, 8:54:11 AM8/30/16
to CS...@list.uvm.edu

Speaking of the graduate program, I'm looking into applying this fall or in the spring. The deadline's 10/15 though, I'm taking two courses to finish a second BS (Business Administration post CSIS), and I'm trying to find some good resources to study for GREs.

kip steele

Aug 30, 2016, 10:25:26 AM8/30/16
to CS...@list.uvm.edu
To UVM? Check to see if you need a GRE from a graduate advisor since you are already enrolled. I would also start talking to different staff to see what their areas of focus are and who you would like to be your advisor. Grad school is a whole other beast and I've just started the trip myself but very very slowly.

Kip

Jacob Beauregard

Aug 30, 2016, 9:02:19 PM8/30/16
to CS...@list.uvm.edu