CSS Naked Day techniques

Jens Oliver Meiert

Apr 8, 2015, 4:02:12 PM4/8/15
to css-na...@googlegroups.com
I didn’t mean to touch ways to prepare for CSS Naked Day because there
are quite a few. It might be great to collect approaches some place
central if there isn’t anything already. Maybe next year.

But, for inspiration and discussion (we’re few on this list, though),
here’s what I’m doing both technically and for re-orientation of my
sites’ visitors.

1) Empty my style sheets (I thought about a redirect but, see 2))
2) Leave a message so not to alienate people:

> /* CSS Naked Day 2015! */
>
> body:before {
> background: red;
> color: white;
> content: 'It’s CSS Naked Day! On April 10 everything will be just fine again.';
> display: block;
> font-weight: bold;
> margin: 0 0 1em;
> padding: .5em 0;
> text-align: center;
> width: 100%;
> }

One may argue, that’s not naked! But we may need to give some warning
to unsuspecting visitors, and it does send a message too on the power
of CSS to include a little notice. And for that purpose (and not so
much others [1]), generated content is actually pretty useful, too.

Happy CSS Naked Day now,

Jens.

[1] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20140224/generated-content/

--
Jens Oliver Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/

✎ The Little Book of HTML/CSS Frameworks: http://meiert.com/frameworks

Tony Ruscoe

Apr 8, 2015, 5:23:34 PM4/8/15
to css-na...@googlegroups.com
1) Empty my style sheets (I thought about a redirect but, see 2))
2) Leave a message so not to alienate people

I’m doing something similar—thanks for the CSS ;)—except instead of emptying my static style sheets, I’m dynamically replacing the usual <link> element with this inline <style> element in my base template whenever the UTC date is 9th April (sorry, that was just a bit easier than making it work for all timezones) which has the added benefit that I won’t need to do any maintenance once it’s over:

  /* CSS Naked Day! */
  body:before {
    background: red;
    color: white;
    content: 'It’s CSS Naked Day! On April 10 everything will be just fine again.';
    display: block;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin: 0 0 1em;
    padding: .5em 0;
    text-align: center;
    width: 100%;
  }

Happy CSS Naked Day!

Tony

Jens Oliver Meiert

Apr 9, 2015, 4:18:50 AM4/9/15
to Tony Ruscoe, css-na...@googlegroups.com
> I’m doing something similar—thanks for the CSS ;)—except instead of emptying
> my static style sheets, I’m dynamically replacing the usual <link> element
> with this inline <style> element in my base template whenever the UTC date
> is 9th April

Ah, neat! I’m wondering, is there actually an expression to pick a
whole day through all time zones?

(To everyone, the list is now fully open. It seems more useful to make
this a discussion list and not just a one-way announcement thing.)