Criminal Justice Reform legislation signed

1 view

Fred Berman

Apr 16, 2018, 4:24:15 PM4/16/18
to Jim Vetter, CSfC Criminal Justice Reform, CSfCL...@googlegroups.com, csfc-j...@googlegroups.com, Richard Marcus, Caroline Bays

Hi Jim, and CSfC Criminal Justice Reform advocates,

Late last week, Governor Baker signed the Criminal Justice Reform legislation that contains many of the provisions that we advocated for and that our Somerville and Cambridge delegations supported.

A week or so earlier, Sen Jehlen sent the following email when House and Senate legislation was consolidated and passed by the Conference Committee. Her email contains links to prior emails elaborating on the component issues.

Sen. Jehlen cites an excellent blog by Sen. Will Brownsberger (Brighton, Belmont, Watertown) that itemizes the many elements of the bill.  Not everything we advocated was included, but the legislation represents a substantial advance.

Special appreciation to (now City Councilor) Caroline  Bays and Richard Marcus from the Watertown chapter who led the Progressive Mass. effort on behalf of criminal justice reform.

Fred

Fred Berman

fred...@rcn.com

H: 617-776-0503   C: 617-501-1404

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them."

~ Frederick Douglas (1818-1895)

Apr 16, 2018, 6:22:10 PM4/16/18
to CSfCL...@googlegroups.com, Jim Vetter, CSfC Criminal Justice Reform, csfc-j...@googlegroups.com, Richard Marcus, Caroline Bays
Thanks Fred - you're quite right. Richard and Caroline did a bunch of great work on criminal justice reform, with a lot of other folks playing supporting roles along the way.

Though it's far from perfect, getting this legislation passed and signed was a great accomplishment.

Cheers,

David

Richard Marcus

Apr 16, 2018, 6:42:51 PM4/16/18
to David Sloane, CSfCL...@googlegroups.com, Jim Vetter, CSfC Criminal Justice Reform, csfc-j...@googlegroups.com, Caroline Bays
Thanks All,

It was a privilege to have contributed. I must say that Caroline, in particular, had a great influence on Senator Brownsberger regarding solitary. I'm not sure it would have been included without her role.

Unfortunately, I was so disappointed in Setti Warren doubling down yesterday on his statement that he would have vetoed the bill. Imagine if he's the nominee how the Republicans will be able to steal CJR from the Progressives and the Dems, with a Dem candidate to the right of Baker on CJR.  Goes to show he doesn't know what's in the bill and that he doesn't understand the legislative process. Imagine how the 37 Senators and the 144 House members who voted for the bill will feel able working with a Governor who just vetoed their landmark legislation.   1000s of lives continue suffer because of "his principles".

Admittedly still venting,
Richard

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/CSfCLeaders/00a201d3d5c0%24e06f6430%24a14e2c90%24%40com.

Richard Marcus
ABR, CRS, CDPE, IRES, ZPro, REMAX 100% Club

RE/MAX Destiny
907 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
(C)617-320-1846