URGENT! Spread the word and join us at State House hearing on Tuesday July 18 at 1pm in Room A-1

1 view

pquir...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2017, 3:36:29 PM7/15/17
to CSfC Criminal Justice Reform
HEARING ON CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM BILL TO INCREASE THE FELONY-LARCENY THRESHOLD

WHEN:  Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 1pm

WHERE: State House, Room A-1

Too many of our brothers and sisters, especially people of color, are unjustly locked up and shut out of our economy.  Jobs NOT Jails needs your help to end racial disparities in our justice system and to get people back to work.

Highlights of An Act Relative to Larceny (S.873/H.967)

  • This bill would increase the felony larceny threshold to $1500.

  • Any larceny case involving something worth over $250 is now a felony and an increase is long overdue because the $250 felony amount was set decades ago in 1987.

  • The present $250 threshold is unjust because it captures too many low level offenses and makes felons of countless people, including young people and those with substance abuse problems.

  • Any felony carries a heavy stigma, creates barriers to jobs, housing, training, occupational licenses and other opportunities.

  • There is a 10 year waiting period to seal these low level offenses because these cases are classified as felonies.

  • Increasing the threshold to $1500 would help many people trapped in poverty and unemployment for what were actually low level offenses.

Massachusetts is an Outlier
  • Every state in the U.S. has a higher amount except New Jersey ($200) and Virginia ($200).

  • All New England states have higher thresholds for felony larceny than Massachusetts.

            CT $2000 • RI $1500• Maine $1000 • NH $1000 •Vermont $900 • MA $250

For more information, contact  Pauline Quirion at Greater Boston Legal Services at 617-603-1554 or pqui...@gbls.org

felony larceny bill FACT SHEET with charts..pdf
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Jim Vetter

Jul 15, 2017, 4:23:49 PM7/15/17
to pquir...@gmail.com, CSfC Criminal Justice Reform
Thanks so much for sharing this Pauline.

Jim