Fw: Will Gov. Patrick heed Sandy's wake-up call?

Thomas Olbert

Nov 29, 2012, 4:25:22 PM11/29/12
to csfc-...@googlegroups.com, cce-acti...@googlegroups.com

--- On Thu, 11/29/12, Johanna Neumann, Environment Massachusetts Regional Director <act...@environmentmassachusetts.org> wrote:

From: Johanna Neumann, Environment Massachusetts Regional Director <act...@environmentmassachusetts.org>
Subject: Will Gov. Patrick heed Sandy's wake-up call?
To: twm...@yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 10:15 AM

Sea Level ButtonHi Thomas,

Hurricane Sandy has served as a much-needed wake up call for our political leaders to put climate change back on the agenda. And yet with Superstorm Sandy still vividly in our minds, it’s shocking that Massachusetts’s most effective program for tackling global warming needs our help.

Send an email to Gov. Patrick to urge him to strengthen the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative so it reduces global warming pollution by at least 20 percent by 2020.

The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) is one of the nation’s most effective programs for reducing global warming pollution. It’s a 10-state compact that makes dirty power plants pay for the dirty global warming pollution that they release—and then the program reinvests that money into clean energy programs across the state.

Already this program has led to investments of more than $173 million for clean energy and energy saving projects in Massachusetts. But if we are going to cut enough carbon pollution to tackle global warming, RGGI must be strengthened.

As early as December 12th, energy and environmental officials from the 10 RGGI states will decide the future of the program—so email them today with a strong and clear message: we need a strong RGGI to ensure we do everything in our power to tackle global warming.

Most of us have connected the dots when it comes to climate change. We understand that extreme weather events are becoming more common, the planet is warming, and carbon pollution is driving it.

Most of us also believe that America can do better. We can reduce the pollution that's causing global warming. By boosting energy efficiency, solar power and wind power we can reduce our dependence on oil, gas and dirty coal.

Of course, this is exactly why the big oil and coal companies and wealthy, anti-government, anti-environment ideologues like the Koch Brothers have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to block sensible energy policies in our country.

We can no longer allow Big Oil and King Coal to hold America's clean energy future hostage. It's time for our leaders to heed Superstorm Sandy's wake-up call and embrace clean energy, clean air and a safer future. And strengthening the best tool at our disposal is where we must start.

Please join us in urging Gov. Patrick to take bold action on global warming.

Yours,

Johanna Neumann
Environment Massachusetts Regional Director

Donate Today. A cleaner, greener future is within our reach. Your donation today can help us bring the vision we share a little closer to reality.