Fw: Climate Committee Chair Denies Climate Change

Thomas Olbert

Mar 24, 2013, 11:18:16 PM3/24/13
to csfc-...@googlegroups.com, cce-acti...@googlegroups.com

--- On Thu, 3/21/13, Emily Southard, Forecast the Facts <fore...@engagementlab.org> wrote:

From: Emily Southard, Forecast the Facts <fore...@engagementlab.org>
Subject: Climate Committee Chair Denies Climate Change
To: "Thomas Olbert" <twm...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:00 AM

The Chairman of the U.S. Congressional Subcommittee on Environment, Rep. Stewart, just announced he is a climate denier. He's the person that will lead hearings for any future and much-needed climate legislation. Sign the petition below to demand Congressman Stewart stop denying climate change immediately.

Dear Forecast the Facts member,

On Tuesday, the new chairman of the Subcommittee on Environment, Utah Congressman Chris Stewart, said this:

"I'm not as convinced as a lot of people that man-made climate change is the threat they think it is." When pressed by a reporter, he added "before we make any long-lasting policy decisions that could negatively affect our economy, we need to be certain that the science behind our decisions is sound."

You read that correctly. The chairman of the Congressional Subcommittee on Environmentwho is responsible for "all matters relating to climate change research and development," and whose committee would hear any much-needed climate legislationdoubts the immediacy and threat of climate change.

This is unacceptable. As committee chair, Rep. Stewart should be working to determine the best ways to slow climate change, not casting doubt on the well-established conclusions of climate science.

It's time to start holding climate deniers like Stewart accountable. If enough of us speak out, we can show Rep. Stewart that Americans won't stand for climate change denial.

Click to sign the petition now:

As chairman of the Subcommittee on Environment, it is your duty to accept climate science and develop policies to secure our country against the urgent threat of climate change.

As a Utahn, Rep. Stewart's climate change denial is particularly offensive to the thousands in his state who've been affected by the increased intensity and frequency of wildfires which cost the state over $50 million last year. And as a former Air Force pilot, Rep. Stewart should know that the U.S. military has acknowledged climate change as one of the most significant threats to our national security.

Rep. Stewart is a freshman in Congress and his first big responsibility is chairing this subcommittee. If we gather enough signatures, Forecast the Facts members can demonstrate that denying climate change isn't just morally wrong, it also comes with a political price.

Click here to sign the peition demanding Congresman Stewart do his job and start working towards climate solutions, not denying climate science.

Factually yours,
Emily, Daniel, Jordan, Brad, and the rest of the Forecast the Facts team

MORE INFORMATION

Congressman Stewart doubts the immediacy and economics of climate change
http://act.forecastthefacts.org/go/22?t=5&akid=7.36288.hNFe1H

Scientists agree that man-made climate change is real
http://act.forecastthefacts.org/go/23?t=7&akid=7.36288.hNFe1H

The Defense Department lists climate change as a threat
http://act.forecastthefacts.org/go/24?t=9&akid=7.36288.hNFe1H

Utah feels the effects of climate change in it's wildfires
http://act.forecastthefacts.org/go/25?t=11&akid=7.36288.hNFe1H

You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.