program of events now online

Matt Lease

Feb 4, 2011, 2:05:14 AM2/4/11
to CSDM 2011: Crowdsourcing for Search and Data Mining (CSDM 2011): A WSDM 2011 Workshop
http://ir.ischool.utexas.edu/csdm2011/proceedings.html

paper presenters should plan on 20 minutes total including Q&A.

Emine will be present in the AM, and both of us will be present in the
PM (I'll be doing the crowdsourcing tutorial in the AM with Omar).
Vitor will not be able to join us, unfortunately.

The proceedings will be available electronically on conference USB
sticks, and I'll provide a URL the day of the workshop for use by
attendees only. If you would like an advance electronic copy (not to
be distributed prior to February 10th), send me an email and I can add
you to a dropbox share.

See you in Hong Kong!
matt lease

Matt Lease

Feb 20, 2011, 5:24:53 AM2/20/11
to CSDM 2011: Crowdsourcing for Search and Data Mining (CSDM 2011): A WSDM 2011 Workshop
http://ir.ischool.utexas.edu/csdm2011/proceedings.html

pdfs, bibs, and slides. Please check your entries and let me know if
you have any corrections.

Thanks for a great workshop, everyone! More follow up later, but for
now I'll keep it brief.

best,
matt

Matt Lease

Mar 8, 2013, 9:42:41 AM3/8/13
to Crowdsourcing for Information Retrieval at SIGIR 2011, CSDM 2011: Crowdsourcing for Search and Data Mining (CSDM 2011): A WSDM 2011 Workshop
Several collaborators and I have just announced discovery of a
vulnerability on Amazon's Mechanical Turk platform, with potential
implications for IRB governance of human subjects research using AMT at
US universities. In particular, this vulnerability can be exploited to
obtain personally identifying information (PII) and other private
information of some workers, who may have shared this information online
in a way they did not recognize could be linked to their WorkerIDs.

The announcement of our finding is below:

Blog post: http://crowdresearch.org/blog/?p=5177
Paper: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2228728

I spoke with AMT VP at Amazon on Tuesday and they are assessing the
situation. It seems unlikely they will address the issue
at the system level, but may instead try to further educate the workers
to make informed choices regarding what types of information they choose
to share in their Amazon profiles.

We are also specifically advocating *against* online posting of
WorkerIDs due to the risk of workers not having realized that
information they have shared could be linked with their worker accounts.
Regardless of the vulnerability, we have also found explicit requests
from workers to not post such uniquely identifying information.

We'd appreciate your help getting the word out to other researchers who
might be impacted (word of mouth, email, twitter @amazonmturk, etc.),
as well as anyone who may have posted WorkerIDs online which could be
compromised via this vulnerability.

Thanks,
Matt