Awesome relevant talk tomorrow!

Rodrigo Fonseca

Mar 14, 2013, 9:45:13 PM3/14/13
to csci2950u-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I should have mentioned this in class today, but tomorrow we have a visitor giving a very relevant talk about network architecture.
Vyas Sekar is a professor at Stony Brook University and he is going to be talking about middleboxes, an often neglected but very present element in our networks.
You should attend! (Did I mention we'll have food?)

Take care,
Rodrigo

Vyas Sekar
Stony Brook University
Friday, March 15, 2013 at noon
Room 368 (CIT- 3rd floor)

The Middlebox Manifesto: Enabling Innovation in Middlebox Deployment

Today's computing landscape relies critically on high-performance,
resilient, and secure networked systems. As application workloads,
security requirements, and organizational policy constraints  change
over time, the network infrastructure needs to  evolve in order to
meet the increasing need for performance, reliability, and security.

Most of this evolution in today's networks happens via the deployment
of specialized network appliances or “middleboxes''.  Unfortunately,
middleboxes today are expensive and closed systems, with little or no
hooks for extensibility.  Furthermore, they are acquired from
independent vendors and  deployed as standalone devices with little
cohesiveness in how the ensemble of middleboxes is managed.  As
network requirements continue to grow in both scale and variety, this
bottom-up approach puts the network infrastructure on a trajectory of
growing device sprawl with corresponding escalation in capital and
management costs.

To address this challenge,  this talk describes the design and
implementation of  a new architecture for middlebox deployments  that
systematically explores opportunities for consolidation both at the
level of building individual middleboxes and in managing a network of
middleboxes. I will show that such consolidation introduces new
opportunities for innovation and performance optimization that do not
exist in current middlebox deployments.

I will also briefly discuss some of our other recent work in the
middlebox space, including attempts to outsource middlebox functions
to cloud providers and integration with existing software-defined
networking interfaces.

BIO
Vyas Sekar is an Assistant Professor at Stony Brook University. Before
starting at Stony Brook, he was a research scientist at Intel Labs
where he was a member of the Intel Science and Technology Center for
Secure Computing located at the University of California, Berkeley.
His research interests lie at the intersection of networking,
security, and systems.  He received his Ph.D. from the Computer
Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University in 2010. He earned
his bachelor's degree from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras,
where he was awarded the President of India Gold Medal.  His work has
been recognized with best paper awards at ACM SIGCOMM and ACM
Multimedia.

Host: Professor Rodrigo Fonesca