this Friday's lecture

Elaine

Mar 13, 2012, 10:52:25 PM3/13/12
to cs294-78-s12
This Friday, we'll have 3 guest lectures,

Professor W.Kahan, Charles Reiss, and Howard

Professor W. Kahan.
Questions about Teaching Technical Topics

Abstract:
In 1960, my computerized (on an IBM 650) grading
of an exam on Numerical Analysis turned out
disastrous. What did that teach me?

In 1961-3, teaching sophomore calculus to electrical
engineers, with one lecture per month and five
supervised problem-solving hours per week, was
successful if judged by encomiums from students
encountered several years afterwards. But why, after
the second year of teaching this way, was I commanded
to stop it?

In 1969, upon my arrival in Berkeley, what stopped
me from trying to teach calculus via problem-solving
as I had done several years before? (But I did run
the Putnam Problems Practice Seminar for the dozen
years before retirement.)

To a course about analysis, problem-solving, and/or
engineered designs, what value can an experienced
teacher add that a student cannot get nearly so easily
from a book, a DVD, or an automatically graded
online course?

Howard Rheingold

Social Media, Pedagogy, and Peeragogy

I started teaching at U.C. Berkeley and later at Stanford because I
felt that issues arising from the use of social media – identity,
community, collective action, social capital, public sphere, for
example – ought to be interrogated by today's students, who are likely
to be immersed in social media personally and professionally long
after graduation. It made sense to use social media – discussion
forums, blogs, wikis, and Twitter – in the service of these
discussions. As the use of these media pushed students to interact
with each other on a peer-to-peer basis and moved their participation
from a performance for the teacher to a collaborative inquiry, my
teaching methods changed. First, in collaboration with students, I
shifted my pedagogy to one in which the students actively participated
in the teaching and use the tools they are studying to collaborate on
projects they present to the class. As student voices become more
influential in the shaping of curriculum, the lesson plans continue to
evolve from year to year. Next, I started experimenting with wholly
online mini-courses, using a variety of synchronous and asynchronous
social media. Students became co-learners in a learning community, and
intensive five week experiences in courses led the first cohorts of co-
learners to create an alumni community in which the structure of
discussions are totally under their control. Social media afford some
kinds of learning that pre-date digital technology, going back to
Dewey, Freire, Vygotsky, and constructivists -- connected learning
that is learner-centered, peer to peer and social, both cooperative
(learners taking responsibility for each other's learning as well as
their own) and collaborative (teams working toward shared goals), and
some in some ways made possible only by digital media and networks,
such as geographically distributed, asynchronous, multimedia,
networked learning.

My interest in taking the next step – using these same media to create
and conduct a course entirely under the direction of the learners –
led me to explore the emerging discipline of peeragogy. In my lecture
I will show how my pedagogy around and with social media has evolved,
present what I've learned by guiding hundreds of co-learners through
wholly online courses, and propose that a group of volunteers join me
in a two to three week experiment in practical peeragogy. We will meet
face to face for a two hour seminar, followed by ten days of
collaboration online (including both synchronous and asynchronous
media), at which point we will meet face to face again, finally
continuing our work into another ten days online (or more, if we
decide to continue). First, we will survey the available literature.
Next, we'll prioritize and sequence the literature. Then we will
discuss the literature, construct practical meaning in the context of
our own goals, and try to derive practical principles for any group of
motivated and committed self-learners who want to organize their own
online peer-learning. The final deliverable will be an editable
workbook for groups of self-learners to decide on a topic they want to
co-learn, discover and organize texts, construct learning experiences,
and divide the resonspibility of facilitating the learning. The
Digital Media and Learning hub at University of California, Irvine,
has agreed to host the wiki workbook

Howard Rheingold is the author of:

Tools for Thought http://www.rheingold.com/texts/tft/
The Virtual Community http://www.rheingold.com/vc/book/
Smart Mobs http://www.smartmobs.com

Was:

editor of Whole Earth Review http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Earth_Review

editor of The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog http://www.well.com/user/hlr/mwecintro.html

founding executive editor of Hotwired http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotWired

founder of Electric Minds http:// www.rheingold.com/electricminds/html/
<http://www.rheingold.com/electricminds/html/>

Non-resident Fellow, Annenberg Center for Communication, USC, 2007
http://www.annenberg.edu/info/rheingold.php

Visiting Professor, De Montfort University, UK

Has taught:

Participatory Media and Collective Action (UC Berkeley, SIMS, Fall
2005, 2006, 2007 )
http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/participatory_media_and_collective_action/participatory_media_and_collective_action.cfm
http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/programs/courses/296a-pmca

Virtual Community/Social Media (Stanford, Fall 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010;
UC Berkeley,
Spring 2008, 2009) http://socialmediaclassroom.com/host/vircom
Toward a Literacy of Cooperation (Stanford, Winter, 2005)

Digital Journalism (Stanford University Winter, 2005, 2006, 2007,
2008 )
http://socialmediaclassroom.com/digitaljournalism09

Current projects:

Social Media Classroom http://socialmediaclassroom.com
The Cooperation Project http://www.cooperationcommons.org
Rheingold U http://www.rheingold.com/university
21st Century Literacies 40 min video http://blip.tv/file/2373937 6
minute vid interview, same subject: http://bit.ly/eFqeI
Infotention & Curation Workshops: http://infotention.com

Charles Reiss

Teaching MapReduce in Clouds

Abstract:
We describe our experiences teaching MapReduce in a large
undergraduate
lecture course using public cloud services. Using the cloud, every
student could carry out scalability benchmarking assignments on
realistic hardware, which would have been impossible otherwise. Over
two
semesters, over 500 students took our course. We believe this is the
first large-scale demonstration that it is feasible to use pay-as-you-
go
billing in the Cloud for a large undergraduate course. Modest
instructor
effort was sufficient to prevent students from overspending. Average
per-pupil expenses in the Cloud were under $45, less than half our
available grant funding. Students were excited by the assignment: 90%
said they thought it should be retained in future course offerings.