Tomorrow's guest lecture: Dan Garcia

Elaine

Feb 10, 2012, 12:59:08 AM2/10/12
to cs294-78-s12
CS10w : The Beauty and Joy of Computing (BJC) ONLINE

BJC was chosen as one of the initial pilots for a new "AP CS:
Principles" exam to be introduced in 2015. The purpose of this course
is to attract nontraditional computing students (especially women and
minorities, but also English majors) to the breadth and depth of ideas
in modern computer science. The National Science Foundation wants to
prepare 10,000 new high school computer science teachers to teach the
new AP course by 2015 (the "CS10K" effort). Under their CE21
(Computing Education for the 21st Century) initiative, we were funded
to provide free intensive eight-week summer workshops for high school
teachers, including two weeks of face-to-face training, one before and
one after six weeks of our online course. This talk will briefly
review the status of all of these projects, the development of Build
Your Own Blocks (BYOB), a graphical programming environment based on
MIT's Scratch that is used in the curriculum, and what we intend to do
in the online version of this course.

Daniel D. Garcia, Lecturer SOE, UC Berkeley EECS Department