Friday's guest lecture: Nathaniel Titterton

Elaine

Mar 22, 2012, 1:49:34 AM3/22/12
to cs294-78-s12
Lab-centric Instruction in Computer Science

Lab-centric instruction elevates laboratory learning as the primary
resource for students, reducing or eliminating lecture. Students are
supervised as they work through carefully constructed online
activities that emphasize interactivity and feedback, collaboration,
embedded assessments, and a varied set of materials. Our research
group has implemented curriculum and studied student learning in many
high-school and college settings, and found some increases in student
motivation as well as learning. In this talk I'll introduce lab-
centric pedagogy, give some examples of our work, and look to place
that work amongst the current trends in online instruction.