Unplugged Computing - Logic Gates

formosa...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2018, 10:43:51 PM12/6/18
to cs-unplugged-sharing
Hi,

Currently I am reading a Masters in Teaching and Learning in Computing and I am conducting a research on the effectiveness of Unplugged Computing in Computing classrooms in my country.

I need to conduct five lessons in which I use Unplugged Computing. In these lessons, I need to teach Logic Gates from scratch. I am finding it difficult to find Unplugged lessons on this topic.

May I kindly ask you whether you can help me please? I would appreciate if you can kindly guide me through any literature or lesson plans that might help me. Kindly note that my students are 13 years old.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Marquita

tucho mendez

Dec 11, 2018, 5:54:51 PM12/11/18
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any lesson plan, but I developed an activity where students act as logic gates to develop a sum in binary. There is something similar somewhere on the CS-Unplugged web. The thing is to create a human binary adder.
I painted the schematics with chalk on the floor.
Some students will be the bits to add in two numbers. They raise their hand if they are ones or keep it low if they are zeroes.
The rest of students will be "gates", and they are placed in the proper position of the schematics, given their connections and their function (eg. raise your hand if both your connections have their hand raised).
That way, you will see how a quite complex task, as a binary sum, can be developed just by combining very simple functions.
I did it with students between 12 and 14 and I think it was a very good activity.
Hope it helps :)

formosa...@gmail.com