Parity bit trick magnets

Marijn van der Meer

Apr 24, 2017, 8:19:21 AM4/24/17
to cs-unplugged-sharing
Does anyone know where I can get whiteboard magnets which are magnetic on both sides? I want them to do the parity bit trick, but all the magnets I find till now are only magnetic on one side...
Thanks,
Marijn

Tim Bell

Apr 24, 2017, 4:56:24 PM4/24/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
There are a few options. I'd note that they get quite heavy if you're ordering lots, so watch out for postage charges (or make sure it's free).

Quick and simple option: You can stick regular cards back to back (you can buy sticky ones for business cards, and if they are a rectangle, cut them in half). I put a large white dot sticker on one side.

In Europe you can get A4 sheets of magnets from https://www.supermagnete.com (I think they're in Switzerland, but they seem to have a local-looking website in some European countries). I've found them very reliable. You just cut them up (about 4x6 cards from a sheet, from memory).

In Japan, double sided magnetic sheet seems very common (used in schools perhaps?), although that was a few years back.

We've also sourced bulk pre-cut, printed and packaged double sided magnets via Alibaba (China), from i-magnet.net. The rep I happened to use was li...@i-magnet.net, but you may need to go through Alibaba to get safe payments etc. This is more suitable for a large purchase (hundreds of dollars worth).

The description of what we ordered was as follows (52 in a pack means you can do a 7x7 trick), and it cost US$561 including shipping, so just under US$9 a pack:
rubber flexible magnet adhesive paper size a4 cutting into 3500 pieces 4X4cm with logo printed; bag each 52 individual magnets

cheers!
tim

Tom Cortina

Apr 25, 2017, 10:54:17 AM4/25/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com

One thing I've used in my CS Unplugged demos is super-sticky post-it notes using two different shapes (to help with color-blind folks).

-Tom Cortina

Toshiyuki Kamada

Apr 25, 2017, 9:40:32 PM4/25/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hi from Japan.

I'm watching this thread with interest.

As Tim described, both-sided magnet is very popular in Japan not only schools but also business offices. Yes, it is made in China, and can get at one-coin shops (this business is exported to the US as 99cent shops) that exists everywhere in shopping malls, roadsides etc.

Japanese teachers use it very well such as for putting flash cards on the blackboard in their lessons to let students have attention to current learning topic with its written keywords. Because magnet sheets can cut with scissors easily, teachers stick pieces of magnets on the backside of the card with double-sided tape.

The idea of using post-it feels nice. Using "3M spray glue 55" that can make every paper like post-it would be cost effective solution.

Galina Momcheva

Apr 26, 2017, 1:18:22 AM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
and....
my team suggestion :)
magnets from Refrigerators

Galina Momcheva

Assoc. Prof. Galina Momcheva, PhD

Head of Department of Computer Science and Economics
Varna Free University "Chernorizets Hrabar"

Chairman of ICT Cluster - Varna

www.vfu.bg/cs           FB.com/cs.vfu
skype: gmomcheva   FB.com/gmomcheva
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Marijn van der Meer

Apr 26, 2017, 5:02:35 AM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the tips. It is still hard to find double sided magnetic labels. I would like to have them in black and white, but I found them in red-green or blue-yellow:
If someone finds them in black and white would be great.
best,
Marijn

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cs-unplugged-sharing.

Assoc. Prof. Galina Momcheva, PhD

Head of Department of Computer Science and Economics
Varna Free University "Chernorizets Hrabar"

Chairman of ICT Cluster - Varna

www.vfu.bg/cs           FB.com/cs.vfu
skype: gmomcheva   FB.com/gmomcheva

Tim Bell

Apr 26, 2017, 6:23:06 AM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
I'm fairly sure that these ones are black on the back (white on the front), and stick on both sides, but it's not completely obvious from the information (I have bought suitable sheets from this shop, and these seem to be the only ones):

Best to contact them, or phone up, or just buy a sample...

Marijn van der Meer

Apr 26, 2017, 6:33:35 AM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim, I called them last Monday. They said it would not work, but I sent them an email with a clear explanation and your youtube-csunplugged-show example. They should have something :-)

I'm fairly sure that these ones are black on the back (white on the front), and stick on both sides, but it's not completely obvious from the information (I have bought suitable sheets from this shop, and these seem to be the only ones):

Best to contact them, or phone up, or just buy a sample...

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cs-unplugged-sharing.

Marijn van der Meer

Apr 26, 2017, 7:47:29 AM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Their answer:

Dear Mr van der Meer

thank you for your Email.

We do not have magnetic tape or sheets that are magnetic on both sides.

You could, however take the coloured tape or sheet and stick it on the sticky side of the MT-STIC. That way you would also have a dark and a coloured side.

Our magentic sheet: https://www.supermagnete.nl/MS-A4
The adhesive one: https://www.supermagnete.nl/MS-A4-STIC

Kind regards

Tim Bell

Apr 26, 2017, 3:45:47 PM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Interesting (they used to have a suitable sheet, unless I have the wrong shop)!

Sticking two back-to-back is certainly a safe option. Or a quick trip to Japan could be justified :-)

Franklin Weng

Apr 26, 2017, 11:35:42 PM4/26/17
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's off topic, but I'd still like to share with you.

http://163.22.72.196/html5/card_flip_magic/card_flip_magic.html

https://sites.google.com/a/ntjh.ntct.edu.tw/105pljh/home

(both in Chinese)

In the past year the book CSUnplugged affected the education of computer science and computational thinking very hugely.  Several creative teachers developed localized materials based on CSUnplugged in many different form (table games, "plugged" materials, ... etc.).

We also publish a teacher's manual "Computer Science for Taiwan Teens", based on CSUnplugged and also CC-BY-NC-SA licensed.

So - thanks to everyone for your efforts on CSUnplugged.

Franklin
signature.asc

Francesco Silvestri

Jul 4, 2018, 5:37:58 AM7/4/18
to cs-unplugged-sharing
Dear Marijn,
Did you then find a shop where to buy black/white magnets that are magnetic on both sides?
Thanks.
Francesco

Marijn van der Meer

Jul 4, 2018, 5:51:08 AM7/4/18
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Dear Francesco,
I did not find them in black/white but other colors, works as well :-)
It's a Dutch webshop, but corostoc flip is the name you have to google:

best,
Marijn

tucho mendez

Jul 4, 2018, 7:27:25 AM7/4/18
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
I think this are quite small, but maybe reversi tiles are ok for the task. Magnetic reversi: https://www.amazon.com/Sterling-3880-Magnetic-Reversi-Board/dp/B002TSI4GS

Il giorno lunedì 24 aprile 2017 14:19:21 UTC+2, Marijn van der Meer ha scritto:
> Does anyone know where I can get whiteboard magnets which are magnetic on both sides? I want them to do the parity bit trick, but all the magnets I find till now are only magnetic on one side...
> Thanks,
> Marijn
> csunplugged.nl

Zoltan Gabor

Jul 4, 2018, 3:33:45 PM7/4/18
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have solved this by using black magnetic A4 sheets that was magnetic on one side only. Cut out squares and glue them together to become magnetic on both sides then glue white paper on one side.

Regards

Zoltan

tucho mendez <tuchod...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. júl. 4., Sze 13:27):
I think this are quite small, but maybe reversi tiles are ok for the task. Magnetic reversi: https://www.amazon.com/Sterling-3880-Magnetic-Reversi-Board/dp/B002TSI4GS
Dear Francesco,
I did not find them in black/white but other colors, works as well :-)
It's a Dutch webshop, but corostoc flip is the name you have to google:

best,
Marijn
Dear Marijn,
Did you then find a shop where to buy black/white magnets that are magnetic on both sides?
Thanks.
Francesco

Il giorno lunedì 24 aprile 2017 14:19:21 UTC+2, Marijn van der Meer ha scritto:
> Does anyone know where I can get whiteboard magnets which are magnetic on both sides? I want them to do the parity bit trick, but all the magnets I find till now are only magnetic on one side...
> Thanks,
> Marijn
> csunplugged.nl

Tim Bell

Jul 4, 2018, 3:36:59 PM7/4/18
to cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com

I have done something similar with single-sided magnets that have adhesive on one side (designed to make a business card into a fridge magnet). You cut the business card magnet in half, and stick the two adhesive faces together. Then put a white sticker (round or square dot) on one side.

One nice thing about being not completely black is that I can ask the class “Is this one black” (yes), flip it; “Is this the white side?” (yes). But it’s not completely white. That’s the thing about binary, it doesn’t have to be perfect, just obviously more white and obviously more black. It helps people to see that binary isn’t a secret code, but just a convenience for engineering to build simple devices.

Cheers,

Tim

From: <cs-unplugg...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Zoltan Gabor <gzo...@gmail.com>