No Crystal syntax highlighting in Atom|Kate editors

Jabari Zakiya

Oct 16, 2018, 9:06:04 AM10/16/18
to Crystal
I just updated the Atom editor (atom.io) on my system and noticed
when I open a crystal file (xyz.cr) with it uses Ruby syntax bindings.
Looking through their language list I don't see Crystal specifically.

This is also true with the KDE Kate editor (my primary). If you look at
the list of languages under the categories at Tools > Highlighting there
is also no Crystal (Ruby is listed under Scripts, which I use for Crystal).

It would be good to get Crystal's name on these lists, even if using Ruby's
syntax highlighting is sufficient, if for no other reason than mindshare.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Luis Lavena

Oct 16, 2018, 11:26:37 AM10/16/18
to Crystal
Hello and welcome,

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:06:04 PM UTC+2, Jabari Zakiya wrote:
I just updated the Atom editor (atom.io) on my system and noticed
when I open a crystal file (xyz.cr) with it uses Ruby syntax bindings.
Looking through their language list I don't see Crystal specifically.

You will require to install Crystal package for Atom:

Not sure about the installation steps, but hope that helps.

Cheers,
Luis Lavena
Message has been deleted

Jabari Zakiya

Oct 16, 2018, 4:31:56 PM10/16/18
to Crystal

Thanks. I got the Atom package and installed (easy).
Any ideas about getting KDE Kate native support?

Faustino Aguilar

Oct 17, 2018, 4:37:14 PM10/17/18
to Crystal
Hi. I also use Kate. I'm working on support it (not ready yet)