Few questions regarding Crystal and mobile devices

Makoren

Nov 22, 2018, 6:49:35 PM11/22/18
to Crystal
I found the Crystal language yesterday, and it looks really impressive, but I have a couple questions:

1. When will Crystal be production ready? This is the first "in development" language I want to follow, so I have no idea how long these things take.

2. Would it make sense to start building something with Crystal now while it's still in development, or would I end up running into too many breaking changes? I plan on using Crystal for game engine development and graphics programming.

3. Will Crystal support Android and iOS? From what I understand, it already runs on mobile devices but is not actively supported on those devices.

Any info is appreciated.

mpett...@manas.com.ar

Nov 26, 2018, 8:11:26 AM11/26/18
to Crystal

Hey Makoren! Thank you for your questions and your interest in Crystal!

In answer to your first question, the crystal-core team & community have been working hard towards the 1.0 mark, but as was mentioned, there is quite a lot of work to tackle, and though we are all very excited and optimistic, it's not wise to raise expectations to a point where it inevitably leads to disappointment.

That being said, and kind of getting into your second question, there are those who already started to use Crystal in production, and you can also check out the section on platform support to see how viable this can be for your project. There's quite a lot of buzz around using Crystal for game development, and you can get in touch with the community for more info on that. Also, just this past week, Manas had a visit from a client who’s partnered-up with them to develop their app and network in Crystal, so it definitely makes sense for some folks out there to use Crystal in this stage of its development.

Last but not least, regarding Android and iOS support, there is some support for ARM, but for now the maintenance is on the community’s side, in case it breaks. There were some contributions for Android, but it’s still a WIP (this was in 2016).

We’re open to your contributions, and whatever questions come up.

Thanks again!