Add Filename, Filetime and Comment support to Gzip?

Jeffrey Walton

May 11, 2017, 9:41:40 AM5/11/17
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

Our current GZip classes do not support filenames, filetimes or comments. We have an optional patch that provides them at https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Gzip#Patch.

We recently got a PR to do the same at https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/pull/418. I closed it because we had the patch, but it may have been premature.

My question is, should we use the PR or patch to add the functionality? Or, should we leave it as an add-on?

Jeff

Mouse

May 11, 2017, 5:53:47 PM5/11/17
to Jeffrey Walton, Crypto++ Users
I think the functionality belongs in the mainstream. Whether it is better to use that PR or the patch - I leave to others to discuss. But I'd prefer to have it built-in rather than an add-on.

Regards,
Mouse

Jeffrey Walton

May 12, 2017, 4:13:10 PM5/12/17
to Crypto++ Users, nolo...@gmail.com, mous...@gmail.com

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 5:53:47 PM UTC-4, Mouse wrote:
I think the functionality belongs in the mainstream. Whether it is better to use that PR or the patch - I leave to others to discuss. But I'd prefer to have it built-in rather than an add-on.

Thanks. Committed at https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/d901ecd9a4de. Another followed that wrote MTIME in big-enan format and cleaned up whitespace at https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/591b13934336.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

May 12, 2017, 5:45:56 PM5/12/17
to Crypto++ Users, Jeffrey Walton, Uri Blumenthal
Whoops, the RFC calls out little-endian, not big-endian. Fixed by
reverting at https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/cfa339535bdf.

Jeff