log4j 0-day

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 10, 2021, 4:15:01 PM12/10/21
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

I'm shutting down the web server until I get a grasp on the log4j 0-day that is in the wild. At work we are seeing suspicious activity, like servers scanning the network. We are not sure if it is related to the 0-day.

Hopefully the shutdown will avoid an incident on our server and avoid a server restore, if things go sideways.

I hope the server will be back online Saturday afternoon. We will need to wait for the Ubuntu devs to release the patch.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Dec 11, 2021, 9:04:17 AM12/11/21
to Crypto++ Users
The server is back online. We set the following environmental variables per https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html :

  # Set variable for all users
  $ cat /etc/profile.d/02-log4j2-fix.sh
  # https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html
  export LOG4J_FORMAT_MSG_NO_LOOKUPS=true

And:

  # Set variable for Apache
  $ cat /etc/apache2/envvars
  ## https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html
  LOG4J_FORMAT_MSG_NO_LOOKUPS=true

It looks like it stuck:

  $ whoami
  jwalton
  $ printenv | grep LOG4J
  LOG4J_FORMAT_MSG_NO_LOOKUPS=true

If anyone has feedback, then please share it.

Jeff