ChaCha AVX implementation bug

Jeffrey Walton

Sep 20, 2021, 6:05:13 PM9/20/21
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

Austin Clifton found a bug in our ChaCha AVX implementation. C++, SSE2, NEON, ASIMD, and PowerPC are OK. The bug was due to mishandling a carry. Master is now fixed. It was tracked at https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/issues/1069.

We need to know the impact on folks to determine if we need a BuggyChaCha class to undo the bad encryption. I don't think it will effect secure channels since they are temporary (they have a finite time-to-live). The bug could effect data in storage (they have an infinite time-to-live).

Please test Master when you have some time. If you have problems, then please report back to us.

Jeff
Message has been deleted