Results of the CAESAR Round 3 Hardware Benchmarking

Kris Gaj

Aug 18, 2017, 9:26:56 AM8/18/17
to Cryptographic competitions
Dear All,

A comprehensive presentation, entitled
  Benchmarking of Round 3 CAESAR Candidates in Hardware: Methodology, Designs & Results,
has been posted at

The direct link is:

This presentation covers
  * A brief overview of the CAESAR HW API and the development of implementations compliant with this API
  * Overview of VHDL/Verilog code of Round 3 candidates
  * Discussion of Use Cases
  * Our detailed benchmarking methodology
  * Graphical representation of results,
    including
    - two-dimensional graphs Throughput vs. Area, as well as the
    - relative speed-up, area reduction, and efficiency improvement compared to AES-GCM
  * Hints on an effective use of the ATHENa database of results
  * Conclusions.

All designs of Round 3 candidates are comprehensively summarized in the following two tables

Additionally, we encourage everybody to vist our on-line database results, available at

For FOUR major rankings, please choose

Family:
 Virtex 6 (default)
 Virtex 7
 Stratix IV
 Stratix V.

After each change to the options, please make sure to click on the
  Update
button, located at the bottom of the Result Filtering area, just above the table with results.

If you want to return to the default settings, please click on
  FPGA Rankings,
in the menu located on the left side of the page.

For Use Cases 2 & 3, we recommend as the Primary Evaluation Criteria:
  * Throughput/Area (demonstrating the best balance between speed and area), followed by
  * Throughput (demonstrating the best speed alone).

For Use Case 1, we recommend as the Primary Evaluation Criteria:
  * Area (demonstrating low cost of the implementation), followed by
  * Throughput/Area (demonstrating the best balance between speed and area).

You can switch among these Evaluation Criteria, by using the option
Ranking:
  [X] Throughput/Area
  [  ] Throughput
  [  ] Area

The results for four additional designs
   CLOC-TWINE, SILC-LED, SILC-PRESENT (from the CLOC-SILC Team), and
   JAMBU-SIMON (a revised version from CCRG NTU Singapore)
are not available yet, due to the incompatibility of the received code with our
FPGA tools (CLOC/SILC) and a very recent submission (JAMBU).

If the benchmarking of these implementations is successful, we will add the obtained
results to the database and to the presentation within the next few days.

For the one stop page with links to all the aforementioned resources (and many more),
please visit:

Any comments, questions, and suggestions for the modifications & extensions are very welcome!

Regards,

Kris
on behalf of the GMU Benchmarking Team