Regarding the arXiv preprint by Eldar and Shor

Oded Regev

Nov 24, 2016, 7:57:37 AM11/24/16
to Cryptanalytic algorithms

Dear all,

Yesterday Lior Eldar and I found a flaw in the algorithm proposed
in the arXiv preprint. I do not see how to salvage anything from
the algorithm. The security of lattice-based cryptography against
quantum attacks therefore remains intact and unchanged.

Regards,
   Oded

frederik.v...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2016, 8:14:22 PM11/24/16
to Cryptanalytic algorithms
Hi Oded

Could you give an indication as to where the actual flaw is in the paper?

Thanks much

Fre

Joseph Darrow

Dec 5, 2016, 6:11:14 PM12/5/16
to Cryptanalytic algorithms
Dear all,

This flaw is described in the withdrawal message "This paper has been withdrawn by the author due to an error in Fact 7: the concentration of measure of the n-dimensional sinc^2 function is not a probability of at least 1-n^{-3} for vectors of length at most n^2, but rather 1 - n^{-1.5} for vectors of length n^3".
https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.06999

Despite that the security of lattice-based cryptography against
quantum attacks remains intact, this paper could have caused enough doubt for Google to end their lattice-based cryptography experiment (CECPQ1) already after 4 months instead of the planned 2 years.
https://www.imperialviolet.org/2016/11/28/cecpq1.html
CECPQ1
CECPQ1

Regards,
Joseph

Deirdre Connolly

Dec 5, 2016, 6:49:03 PM12/5/16
to Joseph Darrow, Cryptanalytic algorithms
> this paper could have caused enough doubt for Google to end their lattice-based cryptography experiment (CECPQ1) already after 4 months instead of the planned 2 years

The Chrome team do not want their hybrid key exchange to become a standard, and since it sounds like they collected enough data/achieved their goals, they are disabling it early.

"We do not want to promote CECPQ1 as a de-facto standard and so a future Chrome update will disable CECPQ1 support." https://www.imperialviolet.org/2016/11/28/cecpq1.html

Alperin-Sheriff, Jacob (Fed)

Dec 6, 2016, 9:07:57 AM12/6/16
to Cryptanalytic algorithms

Thanks for leaving standardization to us at NIST, Google. I mean that sincerely!