creating rd5 data for Cruisrer/Brouter

km14...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2022, 11:14:45 PM3/11/22
to Cruiser Users
Using the quite good information from
I was able to create my own rd5 data for Brouter.
Getting Docker running on my windows 10 computer was
the biggest headache.
...Install windows patches for linux extensions.
...Getting the docker Daemon running....
...docker pull mjaschen/brouter-routingdata-builder

Did this as I wanted to created sparse graphs(no residential roads or lower)
in rd5 format, to see what effect this would have on routing ability. Using
osmfilter/osmconvert I created a new .pbf of all of North America using
This is about 18% of planet.pbf. The resulting rd5 data is 131MB. Implying
the entire planet could be put on a phone and use about 700MB.

Running

docker run --rm --env PLANET_UPDATE=0 --env PLANET=north_america_sparse.pbf --env JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -Xmn256M" --volume c:/tank/brouter/tmp:/brouter-tmp --volume C:\kevin\work\docker\tank\brouter\planet:/planet --volume c:/tank/brouter/segments:/segments mjaschen/brouter-routingdata-builder

Created all the rd5 data using
about 3 minutes of run time to generate the data.
(much faster with sparse data)

The routing performance is impressive.  No more "back tracking errors" when
creating long routes. 5000KM routes calculate in 20-30 seconds.
So on my phone I can swap detail/global routing by changing directory names of "segments4". Most of a trip I use the sparse routing, changing over to detail routing
as I near my destination or what ever stop I have planned.

If there was a version of Cruiser that allowed this kind of ability I would pay money
for this. Call it "CruiserPro"

Kevin