Cruiser Desktop 2.0 display size setting

tbs....@gmail.com

May 27, 2021, 1:39:56 PM5/27/21
to Cruiser Users
Hi Emux,
thanks for the new version.
I saw that it now has a new display size setting and hoped that this would be the return of the "display scale" setting of earlier versions where I could set the tile size. But whatever I set it, it doesn't change anything (with or without app restart). Windows 10, Java Build 1.8.0_291-b10.
Not as important, but I also like the app theme setting which is now missing.
Best regards,
Tobias

Emux

May 28, 2021, 3:15:21 AM5/28/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
The "Display size" setting changes the size of the vector map symbols.

Like the "Font size" setting changes the size of the vector map labels.

The app theme did not work correctly in dark system themes.
It may return in the future with an improved implementation.

--
Emux

tbs....@gmail.com

May 28, 2021, 5:07:47 PM5/28/21
to Cruiser Users
Thanks Emux!
Display size works as described, just tested in an area before with little symbols.
Any chance of getting "display scale" and adjustable tile sizes back? Adjusting fonts and symbols is better than nothing, but especially for designing themes it's nice to have the same proportions and sizes as on mobile devices.

Emux

May 29, 2021, 7:49:48 AM5/29/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
The old "Display scale" was too much of a problem for what it could offer.

An adjustable tile size could be useful, at least in some 4K screens.
Now the vector tile size is 512px and not automatic like on Android.

--
Emux

Tobias Kühn

May 29, 2021, 8:19:31 AM5/29/21
to Cruiser Users
Display scale worked fine for me. Current 512px tiles are also not so good for classic ppi like 96, 256px was better there. Maybe offer at least 256px, 512px and 768px?

Emux

May 29, 2021, 8:57:17 AM5/29/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
The "Display scale" was a very old setting in previous years.
It did not even exist in the previous app version.

If there is a need, I need to think of a better / different way to scale the map on desktop.

--
Emux

tbs....@gmail.com

May 30, 2021, 11:12:14 AM5/30/21
to Cruiser Users
Yes I know that's why I'm using an old version of Cruiser for theme testing. And that's why I was hoping "display size" would be something similar. So at least for me it's important, especially since the adjustable tile sizes work so great on Android to have a map which looks identical on all devices, it makes sense to have that for desktop top - if not automatically, at least as a setting.

Emux

Nov 20, 2021, 4:34:13 AM11/20/21
to Cruiser Users
> the app theme setting which is now missing

The app theme setting returned in Cruiser 2.1.1 with options for light / dark.
(as Java does not have a reliable way to detect system dark themes)

As a bonus, Cruiser now has more app languages.
(and many more in voice navigation)

tbs....@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2021, 8:02:57 AM11/20/21
to Cruiser Users
Thanks for implementing it again.

On a different note - in recent versions moving the map with cursor got very unprecise, as it's got some "fling" when lifting the mouse button. I liked the previous behavior better when map movement stopped when I stopped pressing the button - having a choice here would be nice.

Best regards,
Tobias

Emux

Nov 20, 2021, 9:57:20 AM11/20/21
to Cruiser Users
It should work like in map websites, swipe causes kinetic scrolling, while precise drag stops immediately.

But I will review the need for the fling.

In new version (besides F5 for reload) there are more keyboard shortcuts:
arrows for scroll, plus / minus for zoom, G for tile grid.

tbs....@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2021, 11:05:21 AM11/20/21
to Cruiser Users
It would make sense to me if only one short click causes kinetic scrolling, and a long click stops scrolling after button release. That's the behaviour of Google maps e.g. But with Cruiser now I'm not sure when kinetic scrolling is started and when not, so I quite often when I release the button to stop scrolling right there it scrolls on...

Thanks for the new keyboard shortcuts!

Emux

Nov 25, 2021, 7:53:47 AM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
Display scale is again available in Cruiser 2.1.2.

(kinetic scrolling was removed)

Joachim Kihl

Nov 25, 2021, 9:41:48 AM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
I am new to cruiser and did not know about this feature :-) But I like it! Thank you!

Jo.

Emux

Nov 25, 2021, 10:01:33 AM11/25/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
"Display scale" can be useful when creating map styles to change map's display scale.
Or when using the app on very high resolution desktop screens.

For most users the "Font size" and "Display size" should be sufficient.

--
Emux

tbs....@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2021, 3:15:58 PM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
Thanks Emux, both changes are very welcome and work well!