elevation profile

gerhil

Feb 7, 2018, 9:17:14 AM2/7/18
to Cruiser Users
Dear Emux

Thanks a lot for writing Cruiser and making it accessible to everybody. I am using the program frequently for hiking trips and city trips.

I have two issues, the first one is a feature request. When planning a hiking tour, an elevation profile would provide valueable additional information about the trip, especially with respect to the time required and the level of difficulty of the trip (and especially for elderly people like me :-) ). I have found that Cruiser can create graphs including elevations, so my question is whether a diagram presenting an elevation profile of a route could be implemented in the software.

The second one is just a question. Often I am using a tablet running WIN10 with an integrated GPS-receiver. Is there a way for Cruiser to access the GPS-receiver and read-out the current position to display it on the screen, similar to the version of Cruiser for Android?

Best regards
Gerd

Emux

Feb 7, 2018, 9:28:43 AM2/7/18
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerd,

Thanks for the kind words!

> I have found that Cruiser can create graphs including elevations, so my question is whether a diagram presenting an elevation profile of a route could be implemented in the software.

If routing graph contains elevation data, then I can see how to provide also the route's elevation diagram of something similar in a future version.

> Is there a way for Cruiser to access the GPS-receiver and read-out the current position to display it on the screen, similar to the version of Cruiser for Android?

Probably asked before, currently desktop Cruiser hasn't any GPS features.
But seems interesting to examine how that's possible.

--
Emux

ste

Mar 26, 2020, 11:29:27 AM3/26/20
to Cruiser Users
Hi all, and thanks Emux for your program, Cruiser is awesome.

I just discovered it some weeks ago and I'm using it now every day on my GNU/Linux desktop and it works quite well.

I want to ask you and others, if Cruiser can export (routing > export and check track) gpx track with elevation data.

I builded a graph with Graphhopper routing engine starting from a pbf file (geofabrik, protomaps etc) and DEM data from an srtm provider (srtmgl1).
If I use it in Graphopper on localhost web service when I create the track and I export it in gpx, the gpx contain the "ele" tag for each "track"
instead if I create a track on Cruiser with the same graph the exported gpx doesn't contain the elevation data.

The same behavior if I import the gpx created with elevation data (from others program like Graphhopper or online services or created with some device), and then I change or adapt the routing path with Cruiser, when I export the track the elevation data are no longer present.

Last, @geril said "I have found that Cruiser can create graphs including elevations, so my question is whether a diagram presenting an elevation profile of a route could be implemented in the software."
Where and how I can create graphs including elevation in Cruiser?

As said before, I'm using Cruiser 1.10 on GNU/Linux.

Thanks for everything

Stex

Emux

Mar 26, 2020, 11:40:17 AM3/26/20
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words!

> if Cruiser can export (routing > export and check track) gpx track with elevation data.

Currently that is not available, I could implement it in the future.

> Where and how I can create graphs including elevation in Cruiser?

That was possible with older versions of Cruiser + GraphHopper.
Unfortunately GraphHopper changed its public API, so it's difficult now to use its external config file.
So currently Cruiser can create regular car / foot / bike graphs.

--
Emux

ste

Mar 26, 2020, 11:48:50 AM3/26/20
to Cruiser Users
Thanks for your reply Emux!

Il giorno giovedì 26 marzo 2020 16:40:17 UTC+1, Emux ha scritto:
Thanks for the kind words!

> if Cruiser can export (routing > export and check track) gpx track with elevation data.

Currently that is not available, I could implement it in the future.

Thanks. It would be great especially for create track for outdoor activity like trail running or mtb.

> Where and how I can create graphs including elevation in Cruiser?

That was possible with older versions of Cruiser + GraphHopper.
Unfortunately GraphHopper changed its public API, so it's difficult now to use its external config file.
So currently Cruiser can create regular car / foot / bike graphs.
Ok, I understand.

So the best solutions here is to create graphs with elevation data with graphhopper routing engine (or other ways) and then use it on Cruiser (routing > open graph) and then, when you'll implement track with elevation data feature, we can create it directly on Cruiser, right?
Or the two things are not connected?

Regards,

stex

--
Emux

Emux

Mar 26, 2020, 11:56:58 AM3/26/20
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
> So the best solutions here is to create graphs with elevation data with graphhopper routing engine (or other ways) and then use it on Cruiser (routing > open graph) and then, when you'll implement track with elevation data feature, we can create it directly on Cruiser, right?

Currently that is the best workflow, if want to use elevation data in the graphs.

See also in menu "Routing | Download graphs" some servers providing graphs.
- Mapsforge: graphs with speed profile and car,foot,bike
- Kurviger: graphs with flexible profile and car

--
Emux
Message has been deleted

Emux

Mar 26, 2020, 12:06:24 PM3/26/20
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Those servers create graphs using mapsforge-creator and Geofabrik data.

If you have questions for mapsforge-creator, please use mapsforge forum.

--
Emux