auto centering of map

km14...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2018, 11:05:05 PM11/10/18
to Cruiser Users
Would like to have the map auto-center??

Download loaded 1.4.30 and installed on three phones and two laptops.
Very impressive app. Took me only minutes to get it up and running.
1. download mapsforge map.
2. download equivalent pbf file.
3. use app on laptop to create graphhopper data from pbf file.
4. move data to phone.
4. up and running to create bookmarks and navigate from
point A to point B.

App is fast, simple, lightweight.
Great example of a app doing it's job very well with minimum complexity.
Would be nice is the map would auto-center as I'm driving around.
But I don't think I would change anythings else.
Good Job.

I'm also follow and use OsmAnd. A good example of a full featured app
that does its jobs very well. Does more than I really need but the
defaults is most stuff is disabled until needed (topo lines, hill shading, ...)
so I use the app just as it is out of the box and it works great.
Kevin

Emux

Nov 11, 2018, 2:13:33 AM11/11/18
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words!

Cruiser allows to automatically follow your location and optionally update the map orientation.
You can enable the follow location mode by long pressing on the location button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
And can change the screen orientation by pressing on the compass needle in the top-left corner of the screen (e.g. select GPS).

If you mean turn-by-turn voice navigation, that is currently offered in Kurviger app, which is based on Cruiser platform.

--
Emux

km14...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2018, 4:05:12 PM11/11/18
to Cruiser Users
Thx for the info. Should have known the auto-center map was
there and is was my screw up. And Yes, I am aware of kurviger.
I use the web site for trip planning. Found many web sites that allow trip planning,
and allow creation of gpx track files but the kurviger web site seems cleanest implementation.
For trip planning I like to create a static track(no re-compute route if off track).
This allows me to explore a little "off route" without my route being recomputed, which I find
very irritating most of the time.

I use OsmAnd in both modes..
Dynamic route...
Navigate from "my position" to "favorite" will re-compute when off track.
Static route...
Import a track into OsmAnd computed in Cruiser.
I can then follow the track and explore off track without
the route getting recomputed.

So I create gpx tracks with Cruiser and import into OsmAnd
Most of the time I want my route/tracks static (no re-compute when off route/track)
This seems the only way I to do this in OsmAnd
All done on my phone thx to Cruiser.

Kurviger...
Very short learning curve and it does exactly what I want. So many app/web sites are so simple they
don't really work, or are so complex it takes to long figure out and too much effort. My rule is
if I need an owners manual to figure out how to use a web site, then I've got the wrong web site.
Kurviger and cruiser seem to hit the sweet spot of simplicity and usefulness.

Got Cruiser (and OsmAnd) running on...
1. Samsung Galaxy S6
2. Samsung Galaxy Express 3
3. Samsung Galaxy Express Prime
4. Huawei Y538
5. Samsung Galaxy On5
with no issues.
App runs smooth.
Rendering looks good and is fast.
Routing is remarkably fast and accurate.
When routing to some place near ( less than 50 miles),
the routing is computed very quick. Computed in less than
a second.  For a long route (600 miles) still quite fast to compute.
Typically 5-10 seconds.
The above comments are true for both Cruiser and Cruiser GL
I can see the rendering seems slightly smoother for the GL version
but for some reason I still use just the regular Cruiser.

You might find this funny...
I'm a retired electrical engineer. Worked for Motorola and FreeScale for
35 years. My first product I worked on was a beeper/pager with an LCD
display. It would display a phone number. You would then run and find a
payphone. Had 8 bit cpu. 146805 cmos processor. The entire operating
system was 2K bytes(yes 2000 bytes of ROM). Total ram was 100 bytes..
Operating system coded in assembly language. Single Interrupt driven code.
Foreground/background ( two threads of execution). The cpu ran at
128khz (yes that is 128000 hertz) when running full speed. The clock could
be gated off to put the system to sleep. When running full speed the total
current drain was 4ma at 1.5 volts. When clock gated off the power drain
was less than 100ua from he 1.5v battery. A single AA battery would
operate the pager for a month. For a low end product the entire software
team consisted of one person. For a "complex" high end product there
might be two people managing all the digital hardware and software.
Simple hardware timer would generate an interrupt and gate the cpu clock back on.
I'm describing this because I can't believe how much power I can hold in my hands now.
My Samsung Galaxy Express 3 ( a low end phone) has ten times the power
of the first Cray 1 super computer. What a revolution we are living through.
Kevin

Emux

Nov 12, 2018, 2:04:33 AM11/12/18
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kevin for the very interesting details and the additional information!

Don't hesitate to ask or report any other feedback you may have. :)

For Kurviger can also report in its forum: https://forum.kurviger.de/

--
Emux