Hill Shading from DEM files

Arnaud Woiselle

Sep 19, 2022, 6:16:38 PM9/19/22
to Cruiser Users
In version 2.0.1, there used to be a hill-shading option (from a now-closed online tile store).
Hill shading gives a real sense of the relief that contour lines cannot provide.

Would it be possible to generate the shading in cruiser from local elevation files directly (.hgt files, with different resolutions depending on the source) ?

Below are the screenshots of
* Cruiser (windows)
* OruxMaps (android), which loads the exact same map & style
* OruxMaps (android), with hill-shading generated locally from DEM files (.hgt)

Or is there another way to load this kind of shading ?

More details:
* Windows 10
* Cruiser 2.0.1 and 2.2.1
* AlpsWest from openandromaps
* Loaded style : Elevate-4.4.1 (modified for trail colors and some other stuff)
* Display size = 150
* Font size = 150

cruiser_2.0.1.png
orux.jpg
orux_hillshading.jpg

Emux

Sep 20, 2022, 2:50:45 AM9/20/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion.

Only Mapsforge (not VTM) seems to support generated hillshading,
though I do not know its status and performance.

However, if there is a free online hillshading provider, I can include it.

--
Emux

Arnaud Woiselle

Oct 11, 2022, 5:47:00 PM10/11/22
to Cruiser Users
Is it a problem if only mapsforge supports the generation of shadings ?
It seems easier to update specific dem files than wait for a tile provider to update its hillshading database.

As for online sources, can this be used ?

A.

Emux

Oct 12, 2022, 8:51:19 AM10/12/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
> As for online sources, can this be used ?

These do not seem to be transparent tiles.

--
Emux

Don Miwi

Dec 20, 2022, 11:59:06 AM12/20/22
to Cruiser Users

Hill shading was already working with earlier versions of Cruiser, why has the feature been removed?
Message has been deleted

Emux

Dec 20, 2022, 2:57:47 PM12/20/22
to Cruiser Users
The previous hillshading was from Hike & Bike Map.
But their server does not work anymore.

If there is a map provider with semi-transparent hillshaded tiles,
I could add it again.

Dieter Ludwig

Jan 3, 2023, 1:11:30 PM1/3/23
to Cruiser Users
There's hill shading in "Kurviger 2". Settings/"Show Mountains"=>Mapilion. Doesn't that work on Cruiser?

Emux

Jan 3, 2023, 1:22:23 PM1/3/23
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Mapilion map tiles are not free.

Kurviger app(s) paid Mapilion every month.

Cruiser can not afford to include paid services.
Unless they come with API keys that users can enter (e.g. "Settings | Routing | API keys").

Then I could include Mapilion maps and anything else,
but users would have to register and enter the API key.

--
Emux