Can't start cruiser desktop 1.5

John Campbell

Jan 7, 2019, 7:07:09 PM1/7/19
to Cruiser Users
I cannot get the recently-downloaded Cruiser Desktop 1.5 to run. When I attempt to start it from cruiser.bat I get a series of error messages:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.kitfox.svg.SVGUniverse.loadSVG(SVGUniverse.java:462)
        at com.kitfox.svg.SVGUniverse.loadSVG(SVGUniverse.java:446)
        at gr.talent.g.O.a(SourceFile:93)
        at gr.talent.g.O.a(SourceFile:1061)
        at gr.talent.g.V.<init>(SourceFile:1264)
        at gr.talent.g.ar.<init>(SourceFile:93)
        at gr.talent.g.az.<init>(SourceFile:2033)
        at gr.talent.cruiser.a.<init>(SourceFile:139)
        at gr.talent.cruiser.T.run(SourceFile:40)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

Lukáš Jeřábek

Jan 8, 2019, 2:00:36 AM1/8/19
to Cruiser Users
I see same error. Tested on two PCs, W10, Java 1.8.0_191.
Cruiser 1.4.3 is still working.

Emux

Jan 8, 2019, 2:17:13 AM1/8/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report, seems strange as cannot reproduce such behavior.

The exception happens in third-party SVG Salamander library's latest version, which is used by Mapsforge & VTM in order to parse the svg resources of the render themes.

Can you try deleting the Java preferences for Cruiser in your OS and run it again?
Depending on your platform those could be in Windows registry or macOS / Linux filesystem.

Also are you sure that have not mixed old and new Cruiser files?

--
Emux

Emux

Jan 8, 2019, 2:42:52 AM1/8/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
If delete any Java preferences, just remember to backup your bookmarks via their Export menu.

--
Emux

Lukáš Jeřábek

Jan 8, 2019, 4:10:29 AM1/8/19
to Cruiser Users
Package was unzipped to d:\GC\Cruiser1.5clean
Registry [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Talent /Cruiser] and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Talent /Cruiser /G/L] were deleted and behaviour is same.

Emux

Jan 8, 2019, 4:11:58 AM1/8/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
You are on Windows, with what Java, Oracle?

--
Emux

Emux

Jan 8, 2019, 4:15:42 AM1/8/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Also see if need to delete also from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry.

--
Emux

Emux

Jan 8, 2019, 4:54:57 AM1/8/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
I don't have Windows available, but a friend was able to reproduce this issue on Windows.

That's strange since on linux it runs flawlessly..

--
Emux

Lukáš Jeřábek

Jan 8, 2019, 5:05:27 AM1/8/19
to Cruiser Users
I am on W10 (1703). Java is 1.8.0_191 64bit.
With Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_141-b31) the error is same.

There is nothing in HKLM for Cruiser. Now I am on PC where I am not admin. No access there.

John Campbell

Jan 8, 2019, 5:24:24 AM1/8/19
to Cruiser Users
I am on W10 Pro 1803 (OS build 17134.472) 32-bit x64; Java 1.8.0_191 x86

I removed all Cruiser-related keys from the registry with no effect.

Emux

Jan 8, 2019, 8:08:22 AM1/8/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
I found what happens specifically on Windows and will release a new improved version soon.

--
Emux

Emux

Jan 12, 2019, 5:00:16 AM1/12/19
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Cruiser 1.5.1 was released with the needed improvements for Windows desktop.

Thanks again everyone for the report!

--
Emux