Cruiser2.1.2 issue with "open map style"

km14...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2022, 2:09:05 PM2/18/22
to Cruiser Users
I can't seem to get this to work:

On older versions Cruiser1.11 and older,
on my phone I would use Cruiser-gl for navigation,
but use Cruiser (non GL, and only 2D maps) for hiking.
Using "Carolina-Georgia-Florida.map"
I could import "open map style" "Elevate2.xml" and the topographic lines become
visible. I can't make this work in Cruiesr2.1.2.

Using (on my phone) Cruiser2.1.2 (not the -gl) and doing a
"open map style" "Elevate2.xml" nothing happens.
The map does not display topo lines.

Using (on my phone) Cruiser2.1.2-gl and doing a
"open map style" "Elevate2.xml" there is a brief pop-up
of "select a file *.zip". So i put the "Elevate.xml" in a zip file
and used that for the selection and still nothing happens
The map does not display topo lines.

I made the jump from Cruiser1.11 direct to Cruiser2.1.2 so I don't
know how the other Cruiser2.x versions behave.

About Cruiser2.1.2 in general:

I love the new look of the screen. Voice navigation, while not necessary,
it does make driving a vehicle much safer to not have to look at the screen
all the time. So it really is required for a top rated app. And Cruiser is still
killing it in the how quick and responsive it is the the user. OsmAnd still
feels just a little sluggish in comparison. Is OsmAnd still doing map
rendering in software? Makes it easy to migrate across platforms but is
low performance.  Also OsmAnd have yet to implement 3d map
projection. Do you know if they have plans on using the GL library
to fix both of these problems?

Screen is very similar to OsmAnd, which
I always liked the way it looked. The menu system of OsmAnd was
very convoluted, but thankfully the OsmAnd4.x releases are so much
better. Osmand is back on my list of best nav apps out there. It's
secondly only to Cruiser in that power/elegance ratio.

Side note: I used the sparse .pbf file that I used to generate sparse graphs
for graphopper, to create a sparse north_america.obf. Took about
16 hours of CPU time on my laptop, but now I can plan very long trips
in OsmAnd on my phone. OsmAnd created a 8550km route in about
three minutes that matches routes created using the web based tools.

Kevin

Emux

Feb 19, 2022, 2:45:32 AM2/19/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
On Android the map styles must be opened as zip files (not xml).

Please use the latest Elevate 5 map style:
https://www.openandromaps.org/en/legend/elevate-mountain-hike-theme

About Elevate 2 from OpenAndroMaps:
"Legacy version, that is no longer maintained and is only available to keep compatibility with all apps that only support mapsforge up to 0.3/0.4. New features of the maps will not be added, and there might be problems with future map versions."

--
Emux