Routes do not have elevation information?

Joachim Kihl

Nov 24, 2021, 3:02:47 AM11/24/21
to Cruiser Users
Hello all, I am new to cruiser and have a question regarding Routing:

When I create a route, the resulting track does not contain elevation information. Is that as expected, or an error?

I tried it on different maps; same problem.
I checked route and track with Basecamp, where I see, that no elevation information is contained.

The problem is, that in Cruiser I can only see the length of the planned tour, but not the meters I will need to climb :-)

Thank you for any comments or help.

Cheers,
Jo.

Joachim Kihl

Nov 24, 2021, 3:11:16 AM11/24/21
to Cruiser Users
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am on macOS Monterey.

Cheers,
Jo.

Emux

Nov 24, 2021, 4:39:25 AM11/24/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Route's ascend / descend is provided by the routing service.

The available routing services may not provide elevation details in the calculated routes.

--
Emux

Joachim Kihl

Nov 24, 2021, 4:53:41 AM11/24/21
to Cruiser Users
Thank you, Emux. I understand.

There are two online routing services implemented: brouter and OSMR. I checked OSMR directily online, and they do not provide ascend / descend data.

Brouter does provide that data. But not when I use it in Cruiser.

So my questions to other cruiser Mac users would be:

1. do you see the same when you use brouter for routing?
2. is there a way to configure the routing service somehow in Cruiser?
3. is there a way to add other routing services into Cruiser?

Thanks a lot !!

Cheers,
Jo.

Emux

Nov 24, 2021, 5:03:58 AM11/24/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
The routing services are fixed.

I may process BRouter ascend, if it is readable in the calculated route.

--
Emux

Joachim Kihl

Nov 24, 2021, 6:37:47 AM11/24/21
to Cruiser Users
Emux :-) that would be great!!!! Maybe other hikers would like it too :-) It is essential to know, when you go into the mountains.

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers, Jo.

Emux

Nov 25, 2021, 7:46:32 AM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
BRouter ascend is available in Cruiser 2.1.2.

Joachim Kihl

Nov 25, 2021, 9:54:30 AM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
Hi Emux,

wow, that was fast !!!!  :-) Thanks a lot. This is already very helpful when planning a tour.

I am playing around with cruiser a lot since yesterday, and unfortunately I know better today what feature I am really missing :-) sorry for that. I am new to mapping and planning and GPX .... still learning.

I think that the following would be an improvement:

1. show the ascend in meters while planning (DONE. Thank you!!)
2. show descend in meters while planning
3. include the "map elevation" into the exported track data.

Background to item 3:
- I am using cruiser to create a track and export it as a GPX file
- I then import the track into an iPhone app like Maps 3D Pro (I have no Android smatphone)
- this allows me to go hiking and follow the track on the screen
- without the map elevation data, Maps 3D cannot tell me ascend and descend meters in advance
(Osmand cannot import the track. Maybe because elevation data is missing.)

If I am the first one asking for that, it is maybe not worth your time to implement it.
Nevertheless I wanted to add this to the list of potential improvements.

Thanks for listening :-)

Cheers,
Jo.

Emux

Nov 25, 2021, 10:06:29 AM11/25/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
BRouter only provides the ascend (for the whole route).

You can try BRouter web client, they provide more options in their website.

--
Emux

Joachim Kihl

Nov 25, 2021, 10:17:38 AM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
Before I came across Cruiser, I used BRouter web client to plan tours = create tracks. That creates complete tracks, including elevation data for each track point. But BRouter is very simple and not so comfortable when planning a track. I prefer to use cruiser, because I can create tracks on the wonderful (c) freizeitkarte-osm map, using a style that shows hiking paths in different colours according to the sac_scale value (T1 ... T6).

As a workaround I now do the following: open the track exported by cruiser in Basecamp; use the function "Set track(s) to Map Elevation"; export the track. That is not so elegant, but works.

Thanks again,

Jo.

Emux

Nov 25, 2021, 10:25:29 AM11/25/21
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
BRouter seems to provide elevation in the calculated route tracks.

I can see if it is readable so it can be used in the app in the future.

--
Emux

Joachim Kihl

Nov 25, 2021, 10:29:11 AM11/25/21
to Cruiser Users
I am looking forward to it ... if possible. It is not urgent, of course. There is a workaround and no hiking in the mountains during winter :-))

I continue using Cruiser ... it is a great program! Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Jo.