Cruiser on Librem 5, recording tracks

maier...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2018, 8:52:04 AM12/9/18
to Cruiser Users
Hi,

soon, a new and promising Linuxphone will be released, the Purism Librem 5 (https://puri.sm/). There will be only one thing I will miss from Android: using maps from OpenAndroMaps for hiking and biking.
However, Cruiser already runs on my Linux desktop to display these maps. So it will run most likely on the Librem 5 as well. Unfortunately, one important feature is missing in Cruiser: recording a track. Is there any chance this will be implemented in the future?

Thanks and best wishes
Bernd

Emux

Dec 9, 2018, 9:18:14 AM12/9/18
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words!

Actually track recording is already in the plans.

It would be nice if Cruiser or Cruiser GL can be used in such an interesting project. :)

--
Emux

maier...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2018, 10:58:45 AM12/9/18
to Cruiser Users
Hi Emux,

thanks for the fast reply and good to know that it is on the list already. The GL-version is so fast, it will become my main app once it can record tracks. I also like the clean interface. Well done!

By the way, would you mind on commenting why Cruiser is closed-source, whereas mapsforge is open-source (it is also written by you if I'm correct)? No offence, I'm just curious...

Best
Bernd

Emux

Dec 9, 2018, 11:13:05 AM12/9/18
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
I'm developer (not founder) of Mapsforge and (OpenGL) VTM vector map libraries.

Cruiser is offered for free, currently not open source and is used in several projects, e.g. Kurviger route planner, with extra features like voice navigation.

We'll see what are our options for the future!

--
Emux

maier...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2018, 12:18:07 PM12/9/18
to Cruiser Users
ok, thanks! One final thought: supporting DEM files would be very useful in interplay with track recording!

Emux

Dec 9, 2018, 12:19:48 PM12/9/18
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
This is also in next features list. :)