crt.sh giving 502 BAD Gateway error

Sohail Galaria

Jun 26, 2023, 5:09:38 AM6/26/23
to crt.sh
Hey,

It looks like crt.sh is down or not sure what could be the issue since we are unable to query certificate results even through the API or using the GUI and it returns "502 Bad Gateway" error.
Sometimes I also get the following error:

FATAL:  terminating connection due to conflict with recovery
DETAIL:  User query might have needed to see row versions that must be removed.
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function web_apis(text,text[],text[]) line 4216 at FOR over EXECUTE statement
ERROR:  server conn crashed?
before or while processing the request.

r...@sectigo.com

Jul 7, 2023, 5:28:46 AM7/7/23
to crt.sh
Hi.  This relates to the postgres replication between the backend primary DB and the frontend replica DBs.  When a user query holds up the replication system for too long, the database has to terminate the query so that the replication doesn't fall too far behind.  This approach is unavoidable, I'm afraid.

Within the last couple of weeks we've migrated the frontend replicas to use a much, much more performant storage array.  Performance has improved vastly, load averages have dropped, etc, etc.  In my own use of crt.sh, I haven't yet seen any HTTP 502s since then.  I hope other crt.sh users are seeing the same improvements!

Sohail Galaria

Jul 10, 2023, 3:28:23 AM7/10/23
to crt.sh
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the insight regarding the issue. Yes indeed there is a significant improvement in the service lately. Appreciate you looking into this.