The Sun on Thursday

drja...@aol.com

Jun 22, 2024, 1:03:54 PMJun 22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Things are still looking very active, with several sunspot groups. There are a number of filaments visible on the surface (the same thing as prominences but seen from on top, instead of in profile at the edge of the disk).

Visible prominences were small, but one is seen in the full disk image curling round by the lowest group of sun spots. The close up used a 2.5x Powermate and shows significant activity around that part of the Sun's edge.

Taken between 9 and 11 am, 20 June 2024, using a Lunt 60 Ha, f8.3/500mm, ZWO ASI 178 mono camera at gain 101 and each exposure about 12ms.

Better frames of mostly 500 frame SER videos were stacked in Autostakkert3!, with deconvolution in IMPPG and colourisation in Photoshop.

James

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

William Bottaci

Jun 22, 2024, 6:37:30 PMJun 22
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Hello James, another nice set of images; you've caught the features well, and good processing too, particularly showing both the filaments and prominences, and the sunspots, which is not so easy.

The Sun is a busy place right now. Last month there was one large group, now we have three, though not quite as large as the first but still well above average.
These three will soon be near the edge and that is when any eruptions will affect Earth. The reason for this position is because the path that energetic particles travel follow a curve, known as the Parker Spiral, and they will curve back towards us. It's well worth keeping an eye on any such news for the next couple of days.

Thank you for sharing.
William

drja...@aol.com

Jun 23, 2024, 4:49:16 AMJun 23
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for the comments William.

There's one thing I'd appreciate advice on.  Is there a convention for displaying solar images?  I recall reading that West is shown on the right of the image, with North up, which I take to mean that the image should be flipped to show a left right reversal of what one could see with the naked eye standing facing the Sun and of course using safety film.

As I image with a diagonal in my Lunt refractor, does that happen 'automatically', as diagonals in refractors flip the image left right (mirror image)?

Thanks in advance.

James

Sent from my iPad

William Bottaci

Jun 23, 2024, 5:55:18 AMJun 23
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
I can only give my view, show it as you see it in the sky - upright and no reversals, as if no equipment. If for no other reason than it's what most people are likely to agree on as it's equipment independent. Else plenty of minorities will argue that their equipment is the standard, and where's the justification in that?
Naked eye, binoculars, telephoto lens, all spacecraft...

drja...@aol.com

Jun 23, 2024, 6:28:48 AMJun 23
to croydo...@googlegroups.com
Impeccable logic William